Flathead question

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catcrazed, Dec 29, 2008.

1. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive often wondered this but thought I would ask the pro's. LOL! Anyways, wouldnt you think that flatheads would hang out around the warm water discharges throughout the winter?? I would sure think they would like that better than 38 degrees. The water temp does vary though, sometimes it is downright hot and other days it is just warm but ive always thought it was a common sense that they would like that type of area. Thing is I have fished our warm water discharge area a ton and have never caught one in the winter. Wonder why, there seems to always be shad in that area and every other type of fish species in the winter.

2. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    That is an excellent question. You would think you would find all three species of catfish there. It could be that flatheads by instinct seek out the deepest holes to rest out of the current this time of year. I don't know for sure, it's just a guess.

3. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats the thing, we catch channels and blues in the warm water area all winter but we have never caught a flatty

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    get on youtube and check search 'marcum wintering flatheads'. this is what flathead do during the coldest water period. some people find these deep holes and fish them with large jigs or spoons.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Flatheads do go into a "dormant" stage during winter. That explains the heavy feeding in fall and spring. It's just nature. Most warm water dicharges that I have fished (around power plants) also have quite a bit of current, which they try to get out of during the winter.

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i have heard of people catching flats i think around circleville at a warm water discharge on the scioto,dunno if it is true or not,though

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have had 2 fish break me off from the bank at the discharge, both fish it seemed I could not even turn around at all. Now there was some current, interesting enough though were these fish didnt have the "shaky" blue feel you sometimes get, but more of the line hooked to the tow hitch of a 4x4 feeling...Makes me wonder if those may infact have been monster flatheads?:roll_eyes: I have caught flatheads at the discharge in the winter time, but they were very small 2 to 3 lb range, we have caught some 7 to 8 lbers right out in the river in dead winter also though..:eek:oooh:

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Master n Neo posts above r right!!

:0a18:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    There is a warm water dishcharge about 2 hours from Philly. The water is 70 degrees constanly in the cold winter months. My friends fish there and have caught flatheads up to 22 lbs as a by catch fishing lures like twistertails, rattle traps, spinnerbaits, and corn for carp:eek:oooh:! I have yet to get down there but I know they are down there and actively feeding.

10. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    i would 1st like to say that not all flatties are inactive during the winter months,,but there metabolism does slow down obviously..if your fishin discharges try fishing down river a bit like the first part of deeper stucture that has lots of snags in it and fish bigger baits like white bass or baits that are natural for that area,,but you have to keep your baits on bottom and slowly jig it keeping in contact with the bottom....1 of my favorite times is when there is a change in the current :roll_eyes: