Flathead Question.

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Trahviiz, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I've read that if you're catching a bunch of small flatties, it usually means there aren't any big ones in that area.

I've been fishing a spot on the river lately and have only been pulling out a lot of 5-8lb flatties. Do any of you that reckon that the spot is just no good for bigger ones, or simply slow because of the time of year? Even while using huge goldfish they still turn out small. o_O

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Well I am not sure of that, perhaps you are just not appealing to the monster flats there. Is you water capable of supporting large flats? If so, they are there and you need to present them with something irresistable...............like a six inch blue gill.

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    If there are little flats around there are bigger ones trust me on this one. take one of your poles and put the biggest live bluegill you can find on it. It might take some trips but be patient flathead fishing can be hard work.Good luck.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just keep after them....you'll get the bigguns!!!!:wink:

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana

I don't believe that is true. Flatheads are dominate and the bigger ones will force/fight smaller fish out of good holding areas. This doesn't mean the smaller fish completely leave the section of river/hole. You need to look for structure ,the big fish will most likely be directly behind it. Also look for drop offs at the head of the hole. Big flats will be right on it. Remember, a flathead doesn't know how big he is. Good structure can be the size of a small tree branch or a boulder the size of a car. As long as it is breaking the current. If you are catching small flats then atleast you know they are there. I would get away from the goldfish also.
    Try moving your bait around alot, like every 20 minutes. Flats don't realy like to move and give up there spot to another flaty.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Time of year... give it a week or two:wink:
    you wanna get bigger flats right now your gonna have to hunt hard... if your restricted to the bank it'll be tuff for ya.... I don't know for sure but I think the smaller 5-maybe 10 pounders arent mature enough to have spawned and thats why your catching THEM... somebody will get me if'n I'm wrong.

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Also I don't feel right if I don't have AT LEAST hand sized gills... My fav are 1 pound carp or chubs.

8. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just because you aren't catching them doesn't mean they aren't there.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i agree with those that said wait, they will come. we havent been catchin the big ones lately either. i think they are on the spawn. save your money on the big goldfish, 4in. gills will do it. you will miss far fewer runs on smaller baits too.

10. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Luckily enough, I've actually had people giving me their leftover goldfish when they leave. It's $5 for 1/2lb of them, and they are fairly large. Larger than any bluegill.

To everyone who's given me advice so far, thanks, I really appreciate it. It's just this year that I've started targeting Flatheads and I'm sad to say that next month I'm moving to a state that isn't even listed on the forum. :embarassed:

I'm hoping to get that one huge fish to last me until I'm able to find an area after I move where I can fish again.

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Big bait=big fish. I agree with those who say to use hand sized bluegills. I've never had much luck catching any flats over 10lbs on large goldfish in any waterway. I think the big ole' flatties just can't resist a struggling bluegill. As for small and large flatheads coexisting in the same hole, I believe they do. I've fished holes before where I'll catch a 5lber one cast, and about 30 minutes later I'll get one that's in the upper teens or around 20lbs.

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah, buy yourself a castnet and learn how to throw that sucker for suckers:wink:

13. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Man what I wouldn't give for a cast net. :smile2:

Little Eagle Creek runs behind my house, literally, and there's always tons of schools of shad in there, not to mention all the other bait fish I could ever need.

It's also pretty good fishing. :wink: