The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While bass fishing on the Meramec River near St. Louis, I landed this little flathead using a small silver spoon. We were fishing off a gravel bar in a couple 4-5 foot pools below riffles. First time I’ve caught a flat on artificials. Surprised the heck out of me but it was a blast on that ultralight rod! I know it’s possible but has anyone had success catching flats (and other catfish for that matter) on artificial baits?

Flat takes spoon square.jpg
Flat takes spoon 2 square.jpg

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Yes, used to catch smaller ones up to 10lbs on Rapala's all the time fishing the Mississippi in Minnesota and Illinois. Bass fishermen seem to catch the bigguns alot on artificials

·
Registered
426 Posts
I catch lots of flatheads and channels on lures. My personal best flathead was on a finesse jig fishing for bass. I caught one on a plastic bait flipping a laydown last Friday. They readily eat lures.
This one was from Friday on a plastic creature bait.

A month or so ago on a 4" grub fishing for walleye.

Big channel on a finesse jig this summer.

Channel cat on a popper from this summer. Got a good video of the explosion from this sucker too.

Flathead on a small crankbait.

Little blue cat my son caught on a Ned rig.

They're all big time predators that will hunt down any lure that a bass will eat. I've caught several channel cats on buzzbaits. No bass can match the explosion of a topwater catfish.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A couple of times I've caught catfish with crankbaits. Both times it was in Lake Wylie which is well stocked with catfish.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Most years we'll catch a couple or three little flatheads on artificial lures while bass fishing on the Osage.

I've caught a lot of farm pond channel cats on a hula popper over the years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts