Flathead night spots?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Zeke, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Zeke

Zeke Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Name:
    Derek
    IMG_0765.JPG So I've been fishing this spot for a couple years and have some success in the 30ft hole during the day. But I can't seem to get them after dark. Where in this photo do you think the flatheads go after dark and why?
    Edit: I have a third and last pic further down

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    Welp I don't know anything about flatheads but I would bet on the flat four ft of water at night.

Zeke and MattTheFlatCatKid like this.

3. Zeke

Zeke Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Name:
    Derek
    Anywhere on the flat?

4. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    They definitely move into shallower spots at night. Right there at the mouth would be a worthwhile spot.

RedmanWV and Zeke like this.
  5. Zeke

Zeke Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Name:
    Derek
    There's a 20ft scour hole right out from the mouth towards the main channel, and a big eddy wrapping from that in towards the shallow flat

MattTheFlatCatKid likes this.
  6. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
  7. Zeke

Zeke Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Name:
    Derek
    103A985B-4BE3-44BC-8A62-BD925A7172F4.jpeg updated photo

8. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    got to figure out where the bait fish are hanging out, a big lazy flat likes to stay close to the dinner table,, in most cases that's within just a few feet of shore on a river near cover in the shallows ,, a reverse eddie is definitely a place to try as is the mouth creek or any inlet where bait may collect,, the best bluegill fishing spots can be a good place find a big hungry flat

9. Zeke

Zeke Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Name:
    Derek
    Ive tried hanging in the dropoff before the deep hole at dusk thinking they would travel up out of their daytime spot towards the flat and creek. But have never got in to one there.

Ive fished the area of the flat on the downside of the eddy...nothing.

The current coming out of the mouth picks up pretty fast before the eddy, so i assumed they wouldnt fight that current, not to mention its hard to hold bait in it.

What I havent done yet is fish any of the areas shown right up against the shore. Maybe theyre cruising the shoreline in the whole area at night?

10. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Derek, I am usually boat fishing but if I think of where I have seen small fish, bluegills mainly, it would be close to the bank. For a bluegill, that bank, generally, although small is a drop-off and is structure to them. I would have a bait (at least one) along the bank in 3 to 5 foot of water. Then I would have a bait out on the flat in deeper water. I being in a boat like to fish the channel drop-offs I can find on my fish finder but I generally drift along them so am covering more water than just a bait at one location on the edge.

If you try these area and catch a big brute, send me a picture in a private message and it will be our little secret. :bruised:,,,,,,:laugh:

11. Zeke

Zeke Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Name:
    Derek
    FullSizeRender.jpg One more pic update :O_o:

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'm pursuing a few places here in my town that I keep hearing have big flats on the norm.

They all are shallow, and are outlets from the the main channel/current.

Zeke likes this.
  13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    put first name
    My money is on the point with the creek mouth.

Zeke, primitive and HaskelCat like this.
  14. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Simple answer, where do you catch the most bait fish during the day time?

Fish your baits there.

Zeke and primitive like this.
  15. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Personally, locating bait fish (for flatheads this might mean any and all fish, right now my pattern has been locating walleye and fishing there with walleye as bait; success has been excellent) is my primary flathead and channel catfish locating technique as I am either shore bound or am on my kayak without a fish finder.

I used this technique to great effect on channel cats yesterday on a large lake which I am not overly familiar with. I located a bank with a large concentration of blue gill, I then set up my channel fish outfit and began nailing channels; the biggest went about 15lbs.

Zeke and primitive like this.
  16. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Active Member

State:
    Matthews,
    Name:
    Ted
    I know you are asking where; but asking how may be more important. You say you can catch them in a 30' deep hole in the day time. Honestly; you could do that with a party and a band playing and it may not hurt the fishing much. But, at night, 3' from the shore, in 2' deep water, it is a different story. If you have a light on shore, to keep an eye on rod tips; or worse keep flashing a flashlight back and forth on the rod tips (and on the water) then I am not surprised you can't catch the big flats there. If you fish with a buddy and you talk back and forth about this and that. If you are wearing heavy boots and stomp back and forth to the car. If you, if you, etc.

Derek, I am not saying you do any of this. I am just saying when fishing this close, there is very little room for mistakes. You must be set up before the fish; and you must be quiet, not walking around, etc. I hope this helps and good luck!

Zeke, Beastly Backlash and primitive like this.
  17. flex2win

flex2win Member

State:
    Iowa
    This would be my plan of attack, I'd have a float rig up in the shallow with a bait suspended up off the bottom. 2nd rod on the bottom. 3rd rod on the bottom along the contour of the eddy.

Attached Files:

tuscan toadfish, Zeke and Catpaw like this.