Flathead Information

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Vonroc, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Primarily fish for channel cats but would like to start to fishing for Flatheads also. Fishing mostly on Delaware and Alum Creek, not sure if these areas hold Flatheads. I live about 50 miles noth of Columbus. Can anyone tell me what bodies of water hold flats close to me. Now keep in mind I'm not looking for information on your hot spots, just general information where flats may be found in waters around my area. I do mostly bank fishing but do have a small boat also.I've been to the ODNR maps sites but they don't always name all species found in a body of water. I am about 15 miles north of Scioto River around Prospect Ohio, this area of the river is very small and shallow holding mostly small channels and smallmouth bass . Any info would be appreciated.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I am sorry no one has gotten back to you. I used to fish Alum and Hoover a lot when I was younger (lived in Columbus).

I have never caught a flathead out of either of those waters. That said I only caught one until I was 37 years old. (sad but true)

1st place to check a waterway to see if it has a flathead population is head to the baitshop pictures. Ask locally if a flattie population exists.

I know if you head southeast you can find them.

Buckeye Lake, Muskingum River, Muskingum watershed, Scioto south of Columbus.... Hopefully I am bumping this thread for you so that someone (who doesn't fish with hot dogs) will chime in.

Good Luck,
    Shawn(Coshocton)

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Shawn eat me :smile2::tounge_out:, but Iwould stay away from Buckeye unless you go with Tony he would be able to show you where to go there.

4. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Shawn, thanks for your input. I think it was last year I headed your way, you gave me some info on that trip as well. During that trip to your general area the water was high and muddy. I was fishing from the bank armed with very little knowledge of the area . Not much time to fish and with very little know how on flathead fishing.Your area is about a 2 hour drive or more and it rained almost the whole night.Ended up a ways from you at Ellis lock campground till about 3:AM. Even though I didn't catch a thing it was a nice outing to a new area. I did learn a few things as well.Thanks for your help again and maybe one of these days I'll be posting pics of a nice flathead.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i don't fish your area, but would like to wish you luck in your hunt. i will say that flathead fishing can be frustrating at times..even for some of us that has fished for them for a while. i have never seen a fish that is so unpredictable with their feeding habits..and have had many sucessful nights only to get shut out the next night! i guess thats why i target them for the challenge. im sure someone on here can give you some insight on the waters your talking about.. wish you luck bro, catch a bigun!!!..rollo