Flathead in a small lake?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by willybob, Oct 22, 2008.

1. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The lake I fish in is a city water supply and is full of yellow bullhead catfish has plenty of five pound channel cats good crappie & small bass shad bluegill redear but as far as I know no blue catfish or flatheads. I have never fished this lake for flathead until today. What are the chances that the lake does have flatheads in it. It has at least two creeks lots of standing timber a few good logjams deep dropoffs flats points and all the rest. I have never even thought it to be possible that they would be in there. I might have to give it a good try this weekend what do you all think.

2. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    If the lake is real small and there were flathead in it the other smaller fish would be in short supply. But I would try night fishing at the edge of any type of drop-off. Use small live bait or cut bait. Just my opinion, hopefully someone with more knowledge of small lakes or ponds will add some more usefull information.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Flatheads are a river fish. The ones in small impoundments are starved, skinny, and insane.

Flatheads in small impoundments loves hot dogs and chicken livers.

And if the impoundment is full bait fish, there's probably no to not many flatheads in it.

4. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I don't know how big a lake would have to be to have flatheads in it but there is Blue Moutain lake about an hour east of me that might be more favorable to a flathead I have the AR river twenty minutes north of me.
    Lavaca river bottoms is also close. I sure wish the small lake I fish near my house had bigger fish because catching bait there sure would never be a problem.:wink:

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I don't know the size of your city lake but my little city lake also supply's the city's water. It's only about 250 acres in size but is the best flathead fishery that I have. It's full of flatheads big and small and there not starved by any means. The flathead in my avatar came from that lake along with many other large flatheads. If those creeks had flatheads before the lake was impounded then I'm sure you have flatheads in there. :wink: My city lake also has special regs for no setlines so the population is large and healthy.

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    If you are talking about a small lake the flatheads will eat everything. I know people that have through flatheads in their lakes but everything else disappears. The people I know put alot of white crappie in their lakes because they reproduce quickly and flatheads love to eat them. But, I doubt there are any flatheads in a small lake unless somebody put them their.But, I am talking around a 5-10 acre lake.

7. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    i no nothing about Arkansas flats, but i live in s. Ohio and my home lake is 165 acres,it has a good number of big flats, but if i were you, just to see what was up, i would set out some jugs and limb lines,but you might want to check with the dnr, to see what your limits are,you will probably be limited to a certain amount... hope this helps, good luck

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Flatheads generally do not grow big in lakes, UNLESS there is an good creek/river feeding the lake, then there is a good possibility for nice flatheads.

Of course this statement is not 100% accurate and there are some nice flatheads in the bigger manmade lakes that don't have this type of feeder system. I am speaking very general