FLATHEAD HOTSPOT-NEW LAKE RECORD

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Luke Clayton, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Luke Clayton here. Don't hear much about flatheads, espeically this time of year but... HOUSTON COUNTY LAKE, near Crockett, Tx.. is a real hotspot for flatheads. Crockett Family Resort www.crockettresort.com recently reported a fellow catching a 55 pounder on a soft plastic. Said he was a catman and targeting flatheads, not bass as I first thought. Anyway, this is a great little fishing lake and pretty easy to pattern and.. sometimes safer to fish than some of the bigger resrervoirs...

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Luke, I use to bass fish Houston County all of the time. I didn't know it had a good population of flatheads in it, but will drive down there and check it out. It used to be one of my very favorite lakes to fish that no one knew about. Thanks for the heads up.

3. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Give the Markhan's a call.They own the Crockett Family Resort. Crappie and bass fishing is good now as well and the lake even has a little white bass run in Keechi creek below the dam. It's an awesome place to fish, for sure. I like it because it's easy to pattern. I live se of dallas about 30 miles in Combine, what part of the state to you live? Also, you can go to www.catfishradio and listen to a fishing update from Houston County.. Some good info.

4. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I live in Lone Oak, about 60 miles east of Dallas. Just north of Tawakoni, I use to fish Houston County all of the time. Much less traffic on the lake, and use to catch some really nice bass from there. I have bass fished just about every lake in Texas at one time or another. I just started seriously catfishing a few years ago. I haven't done much bass fishing since, and haven't really wanted to. Lone Oak is really close to Lakes Fork, Cooper, and Tawakoni. I fish Tawakoni for cats most of the time, but like to branch out to other places now and again.

5. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yep, Been through Lone Oak many times. Some good catfish guys there. George Rule, David Hanson... You live right in the middle of the best catfishing in the state! I'm busymaking some bacon from ground venison and pork jowls... Sounds crazy but it's s ome of the best bacon I've ever tasted. My email is lukeclayton@prodigy.net I will have this recipe in next weeks newspaper column or.. email me and I can send it to you in case you're a deer hunter too with some venison to put to good use!

6. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my grandmother lived in crockett for quite some time many years ago, and she gets the crockett paper in the mail and she came runnin up the hall to show me the "big ol catfish" that were in the paper. I was shocked. She told me that those two bruiser were not as big as the ones her brothers used to go catch, i might have to make a trip down there.