flathead hooks

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 10, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well when i first started catfishing i used this hook to hold liver and it worked well... i bought some 4/0 baitkeeper hooks for the summertime or bluegill fishhing but the bluegill that a caught are way to small for that hook (the hook sunk em to the bottem ) i read this page http://www.catfishin.net/hooks.html and i think for the catfish i try to catch around here the 2/0 will do fine for cutbait-channels or live bluegill-flathead

wat do yall think- wat hooks do u use for small flatheads

2. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Man I use 9/0 and 10/0 octopus most of the time when I target flatheads and I sometime catch fish in the 2lb to 3lb range on them with no trouble. I want a hook that will not fail when Mister big swims by! I have caught a 38lb flathead on a 4/0 kahle hook bit it was almost straight when I landed the fish. A 4/0 or 5/0 is the kahle size I use for blues and channels. I found that if you use too small hook when using live bait, it will swim around and get it's self in the gap of the hook and I've lost some good fish because the point stuck the bait and not the fish. Now I don't think you will need 9/0 or 10/0 hooks but in the river I fish, a 30 to 50 lb flathead is common. Don't spend too much for the hooks though, check e-bay out I buy my big hooks mailed to the house for $5 to $10 per 25 box for quality octopus hooks.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, I'd say nothing smaller than a 6/0. I caught flatheads less than 1lb on 9/0 hooks. They have a really, really big mouth comparative to their size. Like the other guy said, you want to be ready just in case you do hook a big boy.

4. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have found that 4/0 or 5/0 hooks work well for flats under 10#. Anything bigger seems to require larger hooks. Hope these posts help you. Many of great advice circle these boards.

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    6lb test

im pretty sure that the 2/0 baitkeeper will be good for wat im fishing for but i have 4/0 baitkeeper hooks and think there too big, and 3/0 octupus

j hooks are my favorite hooks but i use 1/0 octopus when striper fishing using live shad

maby ill give the 3/0 octopus hook a try :0a5:

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I caught a 40 lb flathead(my avatar) on a 4/0 eagle claw circle and I really had a hard time getting it out of the corner of his mouth. I think a little bigger circle would work better overall though....

Good Fishin
    mike

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I use 6/0 and 8/0 circle hooks, I have even caught 3 pounders 10/0 Khales

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Eagle Claw 7/O kahle hooks

More economical 50 for $5.00

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    LeRoy, I use 10/0 gammakatsu Octopus hooks for live baiting flatheads. If your gills can't pick that up you need bigger gills lol. I have caught lb or less channels on those same hooks using cut bait. When I target channels and re-tie I use 8/o gammas. If the fish can't eat an 8/o hook he is too small and you gotta move. You really should gear for the top size fish in your water. You need to be ready if he hits. If you are fishing 20lb line and a 2/o hook and you hook a 60lb flat, you are gonna wish you had more.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i use 7/0 j hooks for flats sleek. plenty of hook for live gills to about 6in. and cut bait. i never use bigger bait than that so i get by. if you think you need to use 10in. gills then you better up the size of the hook. you need a good bit of gap to hook up good, just remember that.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    With flats you need to go with the kahle hooks they work perfectly,and you can use them like a circle or j hook,its the best of both worlds my friend.

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

around 5/0 7/0.........

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    naw i wouldnt go that big.3/0 should be plenty but if you think you need more you could go up to a 4/0 but to me thats gettin a little bit big.But its personal preferance right there i would consider the 3/0 if i was just useing liver.

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Smallest hook I use anymore is a 7/0 kahle. A 2lb Channel cat has no problem getting one in it's mouth, but they are big and strong enough to handle a big flathead.

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use a bit smaller hooks than a lot of people because, like you said, too big of a hook will weigh the baitfish to the bottom and eventually kill it. I am using standard 4 to 7 inch long sunfish for baits and I use 4/0 and 5/0 kahle hooks. I always try to match the size of the hook to the bait.

One thing, the hooks have to be balanced to the rest of your tackle too. If you are using 80 pound test and are planning on horsing in your big fish, then you will need bigger stronger hooks, maybe.

16. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I traditionally used eagle claw 2/0-4/0 baitholders faithfully for Flathead for many years before I tried Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks.

The sizes I use most often are 6/0-8/0 on 65lb Power Pro braid...the combo has been fail safe thus far.

And yes...it is simply amazing how BIG of a perch even a 3 or 4 lb flat can manage to get into its mouth.

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    never chues the hook for a certain size fish.that said always pick a hook for the size bait you are using.if you are fishing with 2 to 4 inch gills a 2/0 or 4/0 hook works fine but if you are using 12 inch bullheads or 1 lb.carp or drum these are way to little.pick your hook then pick your hook.ive got them up to 20/0 and ive caught fish on them all.but then thats just me

18. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm with poisonpits. The size of the hook is more related to the bait size and how I'm fishing it than anything else. The biggest Flathead I have caught came in on a 1/0 plain old forged J bend. It was imbeded in the corner of her mouth so well I had to cut the hook off the trot line. It was 48" long and my scales wouldn't weigh it. I like a hook that will go through the bait and leave plenty of exposed hook. That night I was baiting with little perch not much bigger than a silver dollar. I have hooks up to 10/0 forged stainless for those hand sized perch or carp that are about a foot long. When fishing with a rod and reel I tend to use lighter hooks than on trot lines or set lines because I will use the drag and have never had a fish straighten a hook on a rod. I have had several of the 10/0 forged hooks straightened on set lines and they are massive. On a rod I like the octopus hooks and kayle hooks about equally. Each has its place in my tackle box for different applications. Kayles are great on cut bait and things like weiners but the wide gap octopus shine on live bait and in dough baits.

19. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I use 5/0, 6/0, 7/0 Kahles.. I've found the 7/0 to be my Fav out of the three.. As mentioned, they are priced right too.... I've caught fish down to 1-2lb channels and up on em...