flathead hooks/rigs

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by hock_paul, Jul 17, 2008.

1. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I just wanted to make a post to see what some of you other flathead anglers use when fishing. What type of hook style do you guys favor. If possible try to include brand, model number, and size. Also, what style rig do you use. If you want, include what you use for rivers and lakes(we're talking still fishing here). I almost always use a slip sinker rig with a barrel swivel, 2-6 oz. no roll sinker, and a 7/0 mustad big gun catfish hook(j-style) on a 3''-6'' leader. Sometimes though, i use a float- paternoster rig in rivers, which is basically a 3-way slip rig with a large slip float on top. I'm just curious as to how some of you more seasoned flatty-masters approach these fish. Thank you!:0a23:

2. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    I keep it simple! carolina rig 2-4oz sinker and 8/0 eagle claw king kahle.

3. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    I agree with Erich. Use the KISS method. 1-6 oz. no roll sinker on Power Pro 65# main line, w/ swivel attached to 1-3 ft. of Berkley 50# flouro. leader. Kahle or Truturn J hook. Size of hook depends on bait.
    OR
    Slip bobber in place of sinker.

4. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    carolina rig,2oz. sinker, I prefer circle hooks,trying to find my favorite brand,although they have to be big eyes so I can thread my line through .:wink:

5. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Carolina rig with weight according to river current. Always use 8/0 Gamakatsu Circle hook. If fishing heavy brush won't use a leader just slip weight above hook.