flathead guys beware of new line

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, May 11, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if you se spiderwire ez, dont get iyt, trust me, stick with stealth, i posted this in the line forum to,just triying to save yall 9 bucks, it digs in unlike the 13 doller stelth

2. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    digg-ins suck.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea i hope it will at least not interfer with my fight with the fish , i know ill have to recast alot to get the digins out, i have no idia why they made this line, im swithing to power pro 50,

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah....I tried some of the spiderwire one time and was fishing in freezing temps. I made about 3 casts and had the biggest dam mess I've ever seen. I Took it off and threw it away and went right back to my mono. No problems since.:eek:oooh:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i like berkly mono 40 for my big penn reel, the only beef i got with it is tieing it, its hard for me to make a secer knot, if you tell me the knot ill look it up and use it, but im a spiderwire steath fan, no digins, but that ez spider sucks

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't know how anybody uses 40 mono... that stuff is like anchor rope. lol

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    what do you guys mean by "dig in"?

8. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use the snell knot on my hooks and the polomar when attaching the line and leader to the swivel. I use 40# Big Game mono on all of my Flathead gear.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, I use 30, 40, 50 # mono.. Berkeley Big Game 50#, Eagle Claw 40#, and Hi-Seas Quattro Camo in the 30#.. Good stuff....:wink:
    I

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    MONO, THATS A HARD THING TO DECIDE, I HATE BREAKING MONO WEN YOUR SNAGGED , SNAP, THEN YOUR HIT BY A HOOK IN THE HEAD, BRAID IS BETTER HANDS DOWN,BUT, I ONLY USE SPIDER STELTH AND POWERPRO, DIG IN IS A DOWNFALL WITH BRAID WEN YOU PULL A BIG ONE IN SOMETIMES IT CUTS RIGHT THROGH THE SPOOL, ANOTHER PROBLEM IS THE PRICE, BUT , MONO 30 BERKLY IS AWSOM IF YOU GOT A BIG REEL, BUT I STILL LIKE 50 STELTH, OR POWER PRO,

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use 80# power pro in the high vis yellow and that stuff can't be beat

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    "Dig-ins" happen when your line is loosely packed or unevenly packed on your spool and then you put allot of pulling pressure on your line and the tightly pulled line "digs into" your fluffed spooled line. It can get very annoying and hard to fix back right. It can ruin your casts, retrieve and create back lashes.
    My biggest complaint about braided line is the way in a split second it can get into some God awful tangled messes. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:!

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea for some reoson my line ended up on the right side of my reel more than the left, what caueses this, i never had this problem,, but its on a c3 wich unlik other abus douest have the grip in the center of the spool, the c3, is not as good as the walmart 600, as far as casting and spooling, but its more durable, ill give it some casts and see if this new ez spider lines the problem , u never go unprepared for a monser flathead, you need all you got

14. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I have 80lb spiderwire stealth on my spincast rod.. I love it. I've never tried the"EZ" never heard of it honestly.
    I have the bright yellow 80 lb power pro on a modified abu 5500 bait cast and I love it as well for what it does. It does dig in if I try to break off a snag though.. but I believe if I have my drag set properly I wont have a dig in with a fish.
    Snagged2 recently got me hooked up on my deep sea penn reel with some 50 pd berkely big game. I wanted something bigger but waited to long and had to take what was there.. I honeslty can't beleive how tough that stuff is. I can't frickin break it when I get snagged on the rocks at the dam. It isn't to stiff to tie good knots like the other mono I had on this rig either.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

The 6500 c3 isn't as good as the 6000??? Is that what you're saying? I have several of both and the 6500 c3 is way better than the 6000 in all aspects. Don't get me wrong, I love the 6000's but the 6500 is an all around better reel. I can cast as far if not farther with the 6500 and spooling them is the exact same.
    As far as more line on the left than the right, tie on a big sinker and make as far a cast as you can. As you get the line back in it'll straighten it up. Also if its not casting as good, loosen the spool tension knob up.

16. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    A what knot? :confused2:

17. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    i think he ment a secure knot. i like mason nylon and polyester catfish braid