Flathead from Alabama

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by millertimemarine, Aug 24, 2008.

1. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Hey all. Went down to Pensacola, Florida to see some relatives and do some fishing. Well with all the weather like it was with Tropical Storm Faye coming in and all we didn't make it out in the Gulf to do some deep sea fishing. Instead we ended up going to my grandfather's cabin to shoot guns and catch some bream and whatever else we could. The cabin is right on the Blackwater River of Alabama and is partly brackish water because its real close to the bay where we were. Anyways I brought my castnet down and caught some small mullet. It's a saltwater baitfish that runs up those rivers down there on occasion. So my grandfather, my brother, and I decided to go ahead and set some limb lines with the mullet I caught. Well to hurry up and get this story over with, at around 11pm when we went and checked the lines this 21 pound flathead was on one of them. I definitely wasn't expecting that but its the first one that i've caught so I thought I'd share. This was measured with a rusty spring scale so I don't know if it could have weighed more but it sure seemed like it did. It measured 36 inches in length but forgot to get the girth. That river is crazy. You can be fishing with a minnow and catch crappie, bass, catfish or catch salwater gafftopsail catfish, flounder, and redfish.

Attached Files:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats on your first flat. Id say it was almost 20 lbs. Nice lookin fish.
    Sounds like a great trip.

3. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    good lookin flatty. its a dark one. i'd say yer weight is good from the look of it in the pic. good work :big_smile:

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    nice looking fish

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Congrats Jake, On The Nice Black Flatty The Weight Seems Right To Me Thanks For Sharing The Pics And Story.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Man he was dark. Thats one of the darkest I have ever seen. He is a real healthy lookin fish.Pretty long too. What did the river look like? Was it muddy,sandy? Congrats again on the black cat. Does that mean bad luck?:wink::smile2:

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    What Kyle said..That is one black cat.
    Hope your luck don't go bad..Must be the camo down there to hide from the gators!

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congrats on your first flattie bro!

9. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Haha yeah it was a really dark one. My grandfather said thats how they are down there and he didn't believe me when I said that ours up here are greenish yellow. The water is pretty dark with a mostly sand bottom. Haha yes and they do need some good camo because there are a few gators in that river as well, not to mention bull sharks that swim up it a few miles as well. Thanks guys.

10. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    congrats on the flattie man he is black as night my brother caught a 5lber friday night that was black with yellow spots crazy how they can be different colors nice fish..

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like a great fish, congrats and good luck in the future!

12. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Here are some more pics.

Attached Files:

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Looks like he swam through a oil slick. Nice fish Jake. Are you going to be able to make it to Tuttle ?:big_smile:

14. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
    i have never seen a flat that black.

15. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Hey Keith, I don't think I'll be able to make it because I work Saturday nights at a bar here in Lawrence. You guys have fun though.

16. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Never know what you will catch in a deal like that.Last year we were in Florida and the house we were staying in had dock on the brackish canal connected to the main river and only 3 miles from the gulf.The first night I was out there I walked down on the dock with a medium spinning rod and a plastic grub on 12 lb test. I caught a couple 15" speckled trout and I saw a fish jump under the next dock. I threw over by the dock and hooked what turned out to be a 38" snook. I chased it down the bank as it burned half of spool of line off. I ended up 4 houses down the canal but managed to land the fish. The next night I hooked about a 5 foot Tarpon but didn't have a chance of landing him. But he jumped 3 feet out of the water when I hooked him. We were catching mangrove snapper on the bottom on shrimp. They kind of look like smallmouth bass with teeth. Here's some pics of my son fishing on the dock.

Attached Files:

17. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Hey Eric, yeah its a lot of fun fishing down there. You must have been way down south to catch snook and tarpon. They do get some mangrove snapper up in the panhandle of florida every once in awhile. As for tarpon, never caught one of those but I had the chance to SCUBA dive with them in an underwater cave in the Carribean. Those things get BIG.

18. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    We were in Cape Coral across from Fort Myers...Went out with an inshore guide only caught a couple of speckled trout and a bunch of ladyfish {they look like little baby tarpon}.We went out on Okechobee with a bass guide and we were using 6-10" shiners. We caught about 10 bass none over 18 inches. The bait clicker was screaming out line and i set the hook on a big fish. The guide says "that ain't no bass" as soon as I hooked it. "that's either a catfish or a bowfin and don't you dare bring that slimy SOB in my boat". Turned out to be a 15 lb flathead but I didn't have a digital cam. My dad went out last year with a tarpon guide. He hooked 9 tarpon but they kept snagging him up on the bridge pilings. Turns out the guide is only using 20 lb test big game.They finally hooked one stupid one that ran away from the bridge. After a 30 minute fight he finally landed one that weighed 140 lbs. My dad has a replica mount in his basement. I've never landed a tarpon.I couldn't beleive they weren't using some 300 lb test braid or something.Send me a PM Jake we'll go cast and blast some day.

19. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i caught a ladyfish the other night, i didnt cpr it either, I ATE IT !! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

20. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    you and I think alike JJ we should go out fishin some time.