Flathead Fishing- What is the most important? wind, current, or cover?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishing is fun, Jan 19, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I cant post polls (?) or i would use one for this, but i have a question about flathead fishng

What is the most important to locate big (20lb) flatheads, is it cover, depth, or current speed, also what are the odds of catching a flathead durring the day, if you just cast a live bluegill/bullhead into a downed tree or log??

Thanks for the help
    Marshall

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Marshall, I would say that cover and structure is the most important. Big flatheads are like cave dwellers below the surface and will find dark secluded places to hang out. The big ones are very territorial and will not travel too far from their cover to feed as long as there is bait near them. I like to find heavy cover or structure in deep water and try to catch them when they start to move to the shallows at night to feed. If you are wanting to fish during the day I would suggest fish the deep water in heavy structure. Good luck

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i agree with walter good post man!!!!!!! and as far as daytime, marshal, i have had some of my best trips in the daytime. if conditions are rite,dark or light it dont seam to matter. anytime you have a chance to go GO.

4. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i'm still trying to break that 20# barrier, but i add my $.02 anyhow.

I would say depth and cover would be most important factors. Then current. Depending on how deep your river is, time of day would be my least concern.

I've been hit by flatheads in mid-afternoon in several feet of water, and in the morning in just a few feet. Where I fish, it's more important to fish when there's no boat traffic (it's just easier.) But day or night, go when you can. In bright daylight, look for deeper water or shady spots.

Find good cover like snags and bridge pilings near deep water, and it's a good place to try. Add some lite current, and all the better. This is why guys get all excited about that perpendicular wood extending into the river over a nice drop with a little current on the face of the wood. That's your classic spot.

Another spot a fishing buddy likes doesn't have the prominent piece of cover, but it does consistently have current (even in low water) and a nice drop-off.

I fish a river with several dams, so in real low water it's hard to find current in places that aren't neck-downs. If you're fishing an "open river" with no dams, current may be more important.

Last year, the water was a little higher in the summer, and the bite was better. God, I can't wait until it warms up!

Go Fish!

Shawn

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Iv always read that flats are current oreintated, then cover but more than likely if you find some place were they can hide youll find some flats.

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    All of the above are good tips. From my experience, it's quite easy to catch bigger flatheads during the day or at night than it is to catch big channels during the day.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cover for sure, I have caught my biggest flathead of 50-lbs in the daytime also.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    1. Cover
    2. Current
    3. Depth

Walter said it very well. If you find a spot with all three your odds go up dramatically. 2 out of three with cover # 1 are good secondary spots to try.

Think like a fish. The Flathead is the king of his domain and will take the best place where he/she doesn't have to work hard to stay fat. Nose pointed upstream in nasty cover they wait for food to be swept by. If not enough food drifts or swims by, then under cover of darkness, when the young bluegill have been tucked in safely in shallow water, the Flattie hunts.
    I am unnerved by things that go bump in the night. Imagine a bluegill awakened by a huge monster of the night. Instinctively, the Bluegill flips it's tail trying desparately to go even shallower where the Monster can't get him. Then imagine the sound of that monster displacing gallons of water and lunging after that gill. The sound a large one makes is unmistakeable. Come to think of it, whenever I hear that sound at night, it is practically on shore. That in itself should be a clue about bait placement at night.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The loanwizard is on to something there. Flatheads use the surface as another EDGE just like a bass will use a weed edge. Ask yourself why all those limbliners tie off to overhanging limbs with the bait hanging just under the surface. Structure first, but it must have some current also. Flatheads don't live in slack water. (they might venture in to look for food). But will not live there if there is no current. On the river I fish I catch 40lb flats in 1 to 3 feet of water if it has current and structure.

10. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    all three are important factors to me.
    Lee