Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Flathead Fishing the James

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  CloseQuartersfishing 
#1 ·
Hey what's up guys. We fish the Tidal James for blues around richmond and below. I'm really itching to set up my old 16ft jon boat for some Flathead fishing this coming spring and summer. Ive never specifically targeted Flatheads EVER...tips on where to put the boat in and which direction to go or what to look for in the river? I don't want anyone's specific holes or anything. Any local knowledge or guidance would be greatly appreciated.....thanks alot!!

#2 ·
Anywhere from Dutch Gap all the way to the city from that stretch I've never heard of any of them really caught below Dutch Gap maybe as far as deep bottom but that's it. Look for structure like Wing dams or riprap or trees in the water or wrecks. Live bluegill or perch would be bait of choice

#4 ·
Yes I do alot. Bremo is a good area from the rapids just above the ramp to just below the ramp. Hardware is very shallow but have caught some pretty good fish in the few holes around there. Scottesville itsnt very good around the ramp area but it's good just downstream and a few area upstream. The number 1 thing I would fish would be deep holes next around boulders in the river then trees/brush and undercut banks. It starts to fire up when water temp gets to be in the 65° range. Bluegill and if you can get any large chubs. You will be amazed of the number of reel screamers I've gotten off 10-12" creek chubs..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.