Flathead fishing near OKC

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Dadoftwo, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I am new to the site and was wandering if anyone knows of water to fish fairly close to OKC for some flattys. I have been an avid bass fisherman for over 20 years but have discovered the joys of catfishing and trying to take it to a new level. Any input would be appreciated.

2. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Barry;

The lake out in El Reno is the lake that the OK State Record was caught in and I hear it's great Flathead Fishing. BTW, Welcome to the BOC, You are gonna Love this Place, Great People and Great information.

Good Luck;

Gene

3. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I would try Thunderbird before going to El Reno. I have fished El Reno heavily for the past year and have yet to catch any flatties. Send me a PM and I will give you some more detailed info on where to fish for them on T-bird.

Another good lake for them is Overholser. A few years ago there was a write up in the Oklahoman about a Bethany Fireman catching a 55# flatty from a tube float on a homemade dough bait of all things.

Another great spot is the N Canadian River. I'm not speaking of the "Oklahoma River". I am sure there are a few decent ones in that stretch of the river but it does not have much natural structure. I would concentrate on areas upstream from there.

Dave

4. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks guys for the information. I can't PM yet since I have not posted at least 10 times. I am close to Overholster but don't know if the rocks above the dam or below the dam would be more beneficial. I guess I should have held off selling the boat since this year has produced plenty of rain.

5. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I'v fished Overholser for 30 years, never caught a monster but I'v seen several. My buddy caught a 34# along the west wall below the dam. I'v seen two 25# to 30# come out of the river, between the old bait house and the dam.
    Then a 29# blue caught clear on the north end near the old dam. If you go north on the river dike, to the dead end. you can see where the old dam runs, it sets under water at this point. Good luck its a great catfish lake. Lots of good pan size channel.

Flint.

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Dave, Do you remember when I pointed out the tail of a very nice flathead next to the boat last summer? I parked the boat almost on top of that fish and you couldn't lob a bait to him.

I'd be suprised that you could catch a flathead in a rainbarrel!:wink:

It takes patience and enough knowledge to place a bait where the flattie can find it... with emphasis on patience.

If you fish a lake or river on a regular basis using the techniques and baits that have worked in the past, eventually you will catch a flathead.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    now Albert, don't be too hard on Dave...after all, he and i taught each other everything we know about catching flatties:eek:oooh:

that's why our names are displayed so prominently in the record books:smile2:

8. SFG

SFG New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gee whiz. I was feeling kinda bad about your "Air Dave" nick-name. Good thing Albert didn't give you a nick name.

Bob

9. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla

Hey Bob! Glad to hear from you... It's been a long time... I'm missing you at the lake.

Ya, I mebbe a little ruff on Airset-Dave... I'm sorry...:embarassed:

I been thinkin hard, trying to come up with a good nickname for Phil... but so far, nothing good comes to mind that ain't been used before...

I gotta be careful... I spent more time draggin gar around than catfish at the dam. Phil might have a new one for me!

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    not yet, Albert, but it would be pretty easy to come up with one:smile2:

11. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    As Dave said Overholser is pretty good. I personally like the reed beds upstream from the lake at night.

12. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Matt. I will give a try and see what I can come up with. I appreciate the input everyone has given.

13. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Based on recent performance, I'd have to call Phil the Eufaula Dam catkiller. I seem to remember quite a haul a couple of weekends ago at the Eufaula Dam. My name, after that day, would be nocats. I had a great time though.

14. okie gal

okie gal New Member

State:
    Okla. City
    Welcome to the boc. Why not get your wife involved also. Flintman and I have really enjoyed getting acquainted with the boc people. They're the greatest!

Okie gal