flathead fishing in the marina

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Apache Flats, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I'm going to fish for flatheads from the marina and never fished for them in deep water before. They say that live bait is not a good idea so I will be using cut bait, bluegill and carp. Water dept is 60-70ft do I fish the bottom or suspend the bait around 5ft from the bottom? Thanks for any replies on this.

:0a21:

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I've never seen water that deep LOL!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Live bait is always best for the flats, especially if you can make it appear wounded. You can accomplish this by clipping the bottom portion of the tail.

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    if your fishing at night and the marina has lights around it i would fish about 6 ft deep under a float. i would use live bait. bait fish will be under the lights. crappie and pearch will be there for the bait fish. the flat heads no where to look for an easy meal.as far as fishing deep goes, the first thing i would ask around the marina is does anyone catch fish on the bottom in your area. if the water is warm,somewhere in the water column you will find the thermocline. the thermocline should also be close to where the dissovlved oxygen content begins to drop below a comfortable range for fish. especially bigger fish. in beaver lake in arkansas we have deep water say 30 to 200 foot deep in the channel. in the summer fishing below 25 ft deep is a waste of time. the thermocline runs about 20 to 25 ft deep from july thru early september. dont know if i answered your question but i hope this helps.

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Very simple and informative GREAT POST! Not applicable to me but I stored it away in my file cabinet I keep on my shoulders.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would fish the bottom, if the water is that deep, you should be able to catch them in the daytime