Flathead fishing during the spawn

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Jan 8, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love prespawn flathead fishing, but once they start to spawn I cant catch them, anybody else do any good during the spawn?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nope! try smallies or something lol. 3/4 of july is pretty much fishless (flats) for me. you can catch them but its a pain. you have to be really tight to cover. i should leave them alone and let 'em have their babies for 3 weeks but i cant help it i go anyway and get skunked.

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Prespawn is usually the best time for me to catch big flats. They are hungary and aggressive. Mid May to the end of JUne or even first of July is good. But up until august is tough and then its not much better because they don't feed as good during the day.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, as bad as the spawn was for us last year, I think we should use that time & concentrate on Lakes for Channels.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    cant say that the spawn time produced well here either jack. they do get a bit more of an attitude around the spawn when you lipum i have noticed. i have had them really clamp down on me in june n july. other times of year they let you handle them real easy.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Imagine if your in the bedroom, lights are off, your wife is wearing her new lingere, the candles are burning & right before you get busy a big ole, 16oz Porterhouse Steak catched your eye on the dresser. Imagine how mad you'd be to find a big ole hook in the steak, then someone reeling you up. I'd bite that suckers hand too! :grin-big: Sort of ruins the :love-big: mood! :D

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats it, im stopping at the spawn. thanks a lot dude!

8. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    It definitely slowwwssssss down here. The drought conditions didn't help much either...

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just dug up these pics of a 20 and a 22 a friend caught. we caught a bunch that night that were all banged up from the spawn. after that night we started catching them again, must have caught them after they had a meeting and said "ok, lets get back to work" lol.

Attached Files:

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice spot! To produce those kind of flats from here is great. Hope to see mnay more of those from you this year.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it was a nice spot...thats the hole that got 3/4 of the way burried with gravel from last winters flood.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That changed alot of the river in our area. It basically change the whole stretch of GMR that I used to fish. I mean the whole stretch for close ot 1/2 mile.

13. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i always fish on the opposite end or down stream of large hole from the bank in about 3 to 6 feet of water. the way i figure is most flats would be shacked up in their holes during most the day then come out and feed. and one way i always know i got a flat on the line is because they always swim upstream, so i figured theyre swimming back to thier shelter.

??has anyone used small catfish for bait. i read somewhere that flats arn't produced commercially because theyre cannabalistic.any one heard that too??

14. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Beaneye, yellowcats eat ANYTHING that swims in our waters......I don't really think they target any one species of baitfish over the other. They are the number one predators in freshwater. They eat smaller yellows, channels, blues, bullheads,carp,buffalo, and then your regular baitfish, If its there, they will EAT it!!!!

15. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Can't say Ive had any luck during the spawn either.

16. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    WE USE BULLHEADS FOR BAIT FOR FLATS.I THINK THEIR MORE HARD TO KILL OFF THEN A BLUEGILL.SPAWN SUX:cursing: FORM 4JULY TO 7AUG IT'S BAD ON THE BIG MISSISSIPPI.

17. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I guess the fish have other things on their minds at that time.:rolleyes:

18. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Team catter, do you have much success using bullheads on the mississippi. Shane and I fish the ole muddy a lot and are gonna fish quite a bit this summer for flats and were wondering which bait works the best on the bigriver? I am gonna try using live shad more this year, now that I have a good bait tank.

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

fishing the spawn is always hard at least for me, you really have to serch for them, i like to use a slip float and cut shad and just float around rocks and stumps and snags till i come up with one

20. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I think after the spawn its a race for the food.

I can only type my learnings from the wels catfish but a catfish is a catfish.

Both genders stock up on food before the temperatures are consistent enough for them to look for structures to lay and fertilise eggs.

The female wells will usually spin a nest like a crop circle in thick reed lined margins. These nests are then egged, once the female has layed her eggs and the first male milks the nest she leaves for the open high way.

Many males may milk the nest but usually the biggest males usually occupies the nest and will guard off smaller males ferociously until the eggss have hatched. This male will not feed in this time and does not self predate on the hatchlings.

You will notice runs in your fish size, late march and early april for us is a good time for the big females, they are not big because of the amount off eggs they are carrying, they are big because of the hormones giving them the munchies.

The smaller males are then to follow around mid april as they are picking up on the scent from the females nests. May sees the odd female being caught having found a structure, done her business and looking to get back on the munch. June sees the male fish, fresh and free from the nest sites with july and august being steady months for catching both the males and females.

If you are fishing anywhere near nests that are being guarded by males then you need to upsticks and look for the feeding females, the skirts of drop offs or in the natural larders of the river, not reedlined margins and deep holes.

The females will not entertaing the males after leaving the nest and search outside of their usual haunts in quest for food.

I dont think the females are territorial, its the pack of males that hang around her. When spawning occurs its like she gets her freedom for a few weeks, she may play hard to get and not return to her favourite features, especially if she has forund a better structure free from any previous occupant.

If she is the biggest female she will command the most respect, i think it has a relation to mouth size not whisker length but not 100% sure yet?

I dont think they have lifelong partners but i have had large female fish on rod and line bring in following fish to the margins.