Flathead fishing at Lock 6 (Kentucky River)

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by iluvcatfishin, Jul 9, 2008.

1. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just curious if anyone here has fished it for flats. This past weekend was my first attempt to fish it for flatsheads. No luck of course. Was wondering if anyone here can give some tips on fishing it.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Lots of info on here, you will have to be more specific. Good luck with the flats though, they sure are fun to catch.

My tip: live bluegill, deep cover, slow current, heavy tackle

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Where is lock 6 ? Irvine ?

4. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Its located in Woodford County off of Oregon road.

5. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Not sure what info is needed but I will do my best. The river is down right now. I didnt have my fish finder so I couldnt find the deepest part of it. It was about (Im guessing) 6-8 ft in the middle next to the buoys. I was told by a friend of mine that there is 20 ft drop off about 1000 yards from the dam. I couldnt find this drop off because I left my fish finder at home. I didnt really see any log jams around the dam area. I have heard of people catching big flats at the dams so I wanted to give it a try. I just dont know much about the locks and dams. And Im still after my first hawg. Its all I think about. I catch plenty of eating size (2-8 lbs). My PB is 11 lbs as seen in my avatar. I figure one of these days Ill finally get that first hawg.

Here is my rod and reel setup:

Ambassadeur 6000 with 30# big game mono on a zebco medium/heavy catfish stix rod. Using the 3 way swivel setup with a 6/0 Kahl hook and live bluegill about 6 inches long and 2 oz weight.

and

Ambassadeur 6600 D5 with 20# big game mono on a mudville medium/heavy catfish rod.

6. JUMPER

JUMPER New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    doing any good yet

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    20-30 pound mono might not be heavy enough for big river flatheads. In a lake, I'm sure the 30 would suffice. but in strong current, and cover, you might be disappointed when the true trophy finally hits. I would suggest using a braided line for strength. I use 85 pound braid with a 50 pound mono for leader. the mono leader is for when you need to break free from a snag. any other time than the spawn. (which is right now here) I would suggest deep cover during the daytime, and as shallow as 2-3 foot of water at night. at night I like to pick rocky bottom spots, mouths of creeks, or trees that have fallen in the water, that hold baitfish.

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey danny ever fish up torwards boonsboro ?

9. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    No, never have.

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I lost a good flathead maybe 20lbs last year but my boat motor is done:sad2: I can't get towhere i lost it but have caught some smallones though .Good luck to you !

11. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Would 2 Bluegill heads help any???

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I fished boonsboro over the weekend and they weren't biting there either . They must have a bad case of lock jaw . did catch a25 in. channel though .

13. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I can't help much on your original question except to say there are Flatheads there. I used to go bass fishing there some while I was at UK, and thought I had a world or state record once on a jig-n-pig. Turned out to be about a 6 lb flathead :big_smile: .
    Sure is a good place to spend the day (or night), fish or not. I miss it. I'd try around rocky points, that's where the one I caught was. Good luck!

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like fishing them rocky points. Seams as though I have had better luck on them:wink:

15. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    Hi. I have fished there for years. The best place right now is right in front of the rocks at the edge of the apron. The shad and bluegill swarm there and all the other fish are right behind them. Be careful, the game wardens gave me a ticket for standing on the wall near the dam.Trespassing. It cost me $170.The whole community sets on that wall to fish, but if they want to , they can ticket you.Good luck.