Flathead feeding habits

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by orion_xxvx, Mar 27, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I have noticed flatheads in summertime coming through in late evening under schools of shad ...smacking them with there tails to stun them and then making another pass to eat them. Is this the norm?

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i dont if its true but i have been told the same thing
    but i have noticed some flaties chasing baite all the way to the bank like a bass would watched as shad jumped out of the water to there death onto the bank
    and soon after watching my pole bend over so its a maybe for me

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Are you sure it was flatheads doing the smacking? That's exactly the way stripers often feed on the small shad, and I wouldn't be surprised to find cats following them around.

4. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    im sorry i can shine any light on this for you but i have heard this myself as well

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I don't know either. Like already said, the Stripers do that but I never really thought about a cat doing it. But hey, if you saw them doing it then I guess it does happen.

-Jim-

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I personally never witnessed this behavior from flatheads, thanks for sharing that info with us.

7. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have seen the flatheads come in completely crush a school of shad,I even catch them in my castnet from time to time the biggest being around 20 lbs.
    I have also seen the shad jump clear up on the rocks after being chased by something.

8. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    never heard of this. catfish wiil follow sand bass,stripers around when they are feeding. catfish will be underneath and on the outter edge of a feeding school. this is according to a well known guide here in ok.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never heard of this at all, but it stands to reason. I don't know why the flat head would have to stun them at all. He can simply open his mouth and have several at once. This is an interesting topic that I would be very interested in hearing more about. Where are all the experts. Please elaborate.

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yea I have noticed that they like to go in places where there is dead bait fish