flathead dying because of spawn?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Monsterkat11, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    went down to the river last night to get in some fishing, ended up with about a 5 pound channel on cutbait, a few lost runs and a buddy pulled in about a 3 pound flathead. the real kicker was my buddy goin "hey korey come here, what the beeeeeeeep is this?!" so i go over and take a look..dang, it's a big flathead bearly hangin on by it's last thread right up by the bank. so naturally, i go down there and pick him up and take a look at him and weigh him real quick. he was covered in sores from the spawn and weighed a little over 20 pounds. i tried my best to revive him in the water trying to get a little oxygen goin for him. he swam away half way decent, not sure if he made it though.

the spawn could be the only thing that i can think of that may have done this? i figure maybe he beat himself to death, other than the scars from the spawn there wasnt anything else obviously wrong with this fish, actually pretty healthy looking.

anyone have any ideas?

2. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Fish die from a multitude of ailments. It’s not likely that spawning caused the problems you witnessed.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,i would say that he was more than likely sick.could have been brought on by being weak from the spawn,but not the spawn itself.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC Mike (again?)

Shawn(Coshocton)

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I agree

6. BubbaBoyEllis

BubbaBoyEllis New Member

State:
    Zanesville'Ohio
    maybe its beat up from the spawn but most likely it was dying from no food

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Maybe had something in the water. Lot of girls say thats where their problems came from. LOL

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    It is not uncommon for (especially a female) to die after the spawn if she is either near the end of her life from old age or could be from being caught and had a hard long fight or some other disease. Most fish are very stressed from the spawn to start with, considering they may or may not eat for days or weeks before and then preparing and or finding a proper nesting area. Unless you had the fish in hand and could have a biologist look at it and check it out we can only speculate.

It is my personal feeling that during the spawn, if you catch a spawning female .... it should be released right in the area it was caught, not taken many miles away to weighed and then released hoping it is still strong enough to find it's way back to it's nest. ..... Garry- :cool2:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my opinion, it could be a bunch of things, Compare them to us here:wink: Say that fish was old... sex could have caused heart failure, or shortness of breath. Say again it was old.... probably got its a$$ kicked by a young buck wantin to tend the gravy!:smile2: Say again it was old, might have got a chicken bone lodged in the throat:roll_eyes:... Bottom line is... we don't know, only it is part of nature! and who knows how old... lol :wink: rollo

10. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well i guess we can at least rule out being hungry, this dude was FAT looked like he just ate and ate and ate. like i said before, all in all looked like he was in good shape, but you guys are right, never know what kind of stuff makes em sick

11. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Thta's how I want to die! :smile2:

12. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    No not with a fish..... with a female of my species! :wink:

13. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    LOL ...... Good thing you clarified that Shawn ......... I was beginning to worry about you ... thought maybe you had been seeing mermaids or something ... :wink::smile2: Garry-

14. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    YOU MEAN YOU WANT TO DIE FAT,SCARED UP, CONSTIPATED.COVERED WITH SOARS????
    YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHANGE YOUR BRAND OF BEER.:smile2::smile2::smile2::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    With sores all over that fish. I would say it was not the spawn. But more along the line of something else. What that may be would be hard to say without seeing one.
    But hope there's not more of them showing up.
    Pete

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It was probably syphilis of gonorrhea. It is a well know fact that flatheads don't use any type of protection. STD's are serious and most common in the sucker family, but since flatheads are know to cat around they have become infected too. Man' I hope you washed your hands! :wink:

17. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: