Flathead color

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Poppa, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    You catch flatheads that are almost black, greenish,brown, yellow and
    molted to brindle. Do you think this is enviroment or hereditary ?

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I think it is environment myself, a buddy and I talked about this a few years ago and had compared their colors to where they were taken, i think they try to match the bottom and their surroundings myself, but could be way off also......the ones we get out of the lake in the sand/clay bottom were always brownish/yellow, and the log jams on the river were all dark brown/green... that was our thought on this, Good question.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It's definately the environment that will influence the color. Water clarity, and depth are the two main ones.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I catch flatties and channels in a spot where two rivers meet, the channles out of the smaller river seem to be longer more healthier lookin fish! for some reason unkown to man granted they are living 50 feet from one another!!! the flatties are about the same color, I dont think it has nothing to do with the habbitate the fish originate from but more has to do with the genes of the fish....

5. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    I also belive it is the environment that changes the color, like what type of bottom thay lay on being ether rocks,mud,sand ect.

6. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I'm way out numbered here but I think its both. My small/medium river has some strong current for its size. I cant believe there is much if any difference in clarity/temperature at any depth. Pressure at different depths could explain color differences I guess, but how would one explain two different color flatheads coming from the same hole? Id like to see some solid reserch done on this. We know so much about the flathead yet somthing as trivial as color differences is still a mystery.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    one of the places i fish has a clear spring rite beside the river and when i catch a flat that im going to keep i put it in the spring.when i catch them their mostly the yellow color but after a while in the spring they turn motly or almost black so im going to say water clairity.