Flathead & Channel catfish in the daytime

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by s_man, Nov 1, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I went out on the muskingum monday afternoon. I caught one 15lb flathead, and 6 channels, the largest being in the 7-8 lb range. I caught the flat at my first anchor site at 2:30 pm. I caught the largest channel at my last site right around 8:30-9:00 pm. I was using cut shad for bait. I should have changed from my 10/0 hooks down to 8's and I would have caught many more fish lol. I didn't catch any more fish after that, I stayed till 11:00pm. The water is cold now, I didn't get a temp reading. But the fish are active if you can find them and still fighting when you hook em. The bite slowed the closer to sunset it got. If you head out now start in the morning and fish till dark. You need to fish every hole you know of and when you catch fish, concentrate on that hole. There will be more than just the one there. As to flats and channels in the same hole I'd say most of the time they will not be together. But that still leaves a little room for the more active channels to cruise thru a flathead wintering area. You can catch channels in a flathead hole, but overall if you are catching only and many channels, you will have to look elswhere for flatheads.

2. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Skip, sounds like you had a good time on the river. I'm going to try to get out this weekend but have alot of stuff to do. Thanks for the info.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nice catch skip! you are right the channels and flats...won't be together, but they may not be far apart.. and once catching either.. or.. if you cast back to the same spot or area, usually get same results! lol... rollo

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    glad you caught your first daytime flat as well..:wink: rollo

5. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    skip...i see you said that if your catching lots of channels in a flattie hole just lieve and fine a new spot....but my pb was 44 inchs and it was caught on a 14 inch channel catfish in about 7 foot of water....now i dont know if it was just a fluck that that happened or what but older ppl here in bluerock are the ones that told me to try so i did and it worked.......so in some cases i would just say sitt and wait it out for awhile if nothing is happenin go else where

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    how deep of water were you getting them in? i also find the morning to early afternoon time to be best past mid october, very few runs and fish after 4-5pm. went today, had one decent sized fish get me wrapped around a chunk of concrete in 35ft of water, it snapped my hook off when the sinker got hung on the edge of the concrete slab. they arent done yet! :big_smile:

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It's supposed to snow tomorrow. I can't believe that I am still fishing this time of year, but I got one yesterday 3pm. Water temp 50 (according to depth finder)

Had plenty of nibbles early, still trying to figurwe out how to hook them finicky fish.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I was catching those in 9 to 15 ft range. Usually along a sharp break where the water goes from like 5to 8ft straight down into 12 or deeper. Seems like that steep wall either gives them the option of moving shallow or deep without moving far. Or they like hugging the steep bank cause it slows the current. Or maybe its both, or something else entirely. There just has to be less flow than the main channel. They don't want to use excess energy fighting current or they won't survive the winter.