Flathead catfishing

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishrollo, Sep 26, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have found over the yrs. there are many factors and variables to consider when flathead fishing. moon phase, weather conditions, water temps, and river stages have alot to do with the bite. scouting and knowing your area like second nature is a must, and being able to adapt and change your approach to each year to year keeps a few catching, and alot wondering. i have tried to post my knowledge on flatheads on here, and i thank those that agree and disagree. everyone has there own opinion! that's fine! what i'm gathering from alot of these posts ...alot that disagree simply do cause they don't believe or think certain small situations can mess your night up. a light on the water. dropping things in the boat. running down a rocky bank to get a pole. all i can say is yes, there is the situation where you catch a big flat in front of a fire, having a party there for 20. BUT, how consistently do these situations present themselves? my best nights haven't even came close to that. i know, as a flathead angler that alot of my habits are those of mine only. i'm very particular when in a boat. everything has to be in place. when i anchor or tie off, it has to be perfect. i'm not a perfectionist by any means, but i have found that my better nights are those that everything feels like it is falling right. maybe instinct has some to do? i dunno? all i can say is i have been consistent when catching year to year for the most part, i don't think it is solely luck... those that are fast to criticize opinions online from those that have done well over a period of years, are usually those still in search for many answers, yes... i don't tell or post everything i can, but, thats because i have spent the time, and i think everyone is intitled to help..but, not all the answers. trust me it is more rewarding when you start finding spots yourself and you can pattern the fish sometimes throughout the year, and year to year...so if you one of those that simply wants to agrue good advice... sit by your campfire, with 7 lanterns, spray that off all over your hands and your bait..use your stinger hook with the groundhog skin on it. and goodluck on catching and catching often...rollo

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i guess, i just ask those who are fast to jump the advice, have you tried some of these techniques? have you tried to steer a big flat from swimming into a logjam with a light? have you seen the results of tip-toeing down the bank to a screaming rod, rather then running? have you tried to setup from as far as you can from a prime spot? then use light weight sinker to drift, or a big slip float to get your bait in the area you want so you don't motor on them??? i guess i'm just asking you to try before you critisize!!! rollo

3. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Groundhog skin??:wink: People usually learn better through trial and error. If you weren't lucky enough to grow up fishing for big cats or learn from a mentor then the info seems to become more "guarded" or secret. I understand this b/c that's how I learned all I know about 'em. The more I fish 'em the more I realize how little I know...if that makes any sense!

4. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    By the way, Rollo, I steered a flat away from my anchor line and motor ( which I USUALLY pull up before I start fishing a spot) with my head lamp last week. Worked good. I gotta remember that one. Thanks.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that makes alot of sense. don't get me wrong i had some of the best mentors one could have. one guy actually has had articles done in the infisherman. i was lucky to get my start as an early teen by someone that knows as much. i still talk to him frequently, but can asure you he has given me no information or spots or area. i want to find some of these the same way he has. trial and error is a must! i'm just tired or the people who are fast to say you are misleading them, and they have know idea! i post things that work for me and if it comes to the point to making things up or misleading in what i believe i will drop the site and go on. rollo

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with everything that has been said..One thing I have noticed over the years is I catch most of my big flats fishing alone...WHY? one person makes less noise than 2.

7. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I agree totally with what you have said. i pulled two in over 40 last week and you want to talk about a chore. the second i caught was all over the place I was fishing by myself and had another pole casted out and this fish didnt waist no time trying to get hung in it. I thought he was bigger then he was so i cut the line then he got hung in it. So get this i had this fish far as I could get him and he was hung on something. You know that feeling like you just lost the biggest monster youve had in a long time or if ever then out of the side of my eye i see this fish 10-15 feet down and hes hung on that line I cut. Luckily i was able to pull up the anchor and with the salmon net being as big as it is I got it around him and pulled him up. He weighed 42.60 I took the hook out, took some pictures, listened to the dog growl at him and let him back. I wont be cutting any more lines any time soon. i agree with flathunter to i do my best fishing alone for flatheads for sure. i dont know if im more in tune with what im doing or what. but everything is the way i like it.

8. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    I am in total agreement, I have found most posted advice to be very helpful and often use some tricks I have read about or have been shown. Howewver it seems my favorite are the ones I have learned, most often by mistake.
    With that being said, I give thanks to all those who take the time to share what they've learned.

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just wanted to say thanks to you Jason for all your post. I may not agree with them all but I have learned a thing or two also. You are a wealth of information and I am glad that you share some of what you have learned with the rest of us. Keep up the good work.

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i agree, some of the best flathead head fishing i have done was when i was alone which is not very often(always have a friend that wants to go). that don't bother me but when i do get the chance to be on the river by myself i will. Jason i have learned a bunch from the knowledge that u post. it has helped my flathead fishing alot. Thanks

11. ShellShocked

ShellShocked New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Great info.Thanks.Alot of common sense.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have to agree with Rollo, Its waay more satisfying if you learn something on your own by trial and error. I taught myself how to catch flatheads by first: reading all I could find on the subject, then putting my behind on the river. The first 3 years I would go 3 or 4 nights a week, driving 90 to 100 miles round trip. I only caught small flats one outta 15 times or so. But the end of the third year I caught my first double of a 33 and a 41 pounder. I didn't have anyone showing me where to fish or what to use or rig. I just took what I read and my experiences and turned that into a strategy or system. I don't catch big ones every trip but I catch a flathead on 90 percent of them. A small flat is still a flat. Everything I have posted on here about catfish is something I believe or use in my own fishing. You may choose to think I'm funning with you or not. But like Rollo said: when it comes down to me having to make stuff up or lying to gain attention I'd rather just quit the site. I have stated before I give info freely so others might not have that sharp learning curve I had. It really sux to sit out on the river for 30 nights and only catch fish on 2 or 3 of them. Believe me I have done it lol. I still read anything I can find on flats and fishing in general. Cause you never know if you can twist something to make it applicable to catfishing.