Flathead catfishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bluekatcher, Mar 29, 2007.

1. bluekatcher

bluekatcher New Member

State:
    illinois
    I fish for blues and channels mainly but would like to broaden my catch to some flats. I have caught a few flats in my day but they are all a fluke. What i have read is the way I fish for blues is pretty much the same, in the damn areas anyway, but I have never caught any flats at the damn, by fishing the white water or the eddies, this is how i catch my big blues though. I have tried fishing brush piles in deep water, shallow water, current and back water but havent come up with anything but channels in there. When you fish the white water calms are you fishing with heavy weights or are you more so bottom bouncing?

2. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i fish mainly shallow water for flats at night....they tend to come shallow to feed. live perch or live shad instead of cut bait like most use for blues will increase your flathead chances. in tail races, id fish the slacker water with structure for the flats...believe me, they are there

3. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio

i usually fish shallow water for flattys also. flats or bays with deep water near by with good structure. large rocks or a big brush pile any thing to give cover.near the tailraces look for the slack water right behind the white water.and use a good live baitfish i prefer shad,shiners and small carp.but alot of things work.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i was getting hammered by the flats yesterday.
    i only got one on the bank and he was a bout a 2lber.
    i caught them in a crappie nest using 4" perch