Flathead catfishing ?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by R. D. Hilton, May 3, 2006.

1. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    I had some lines out for chanel cat this past week end . The wind was to high for me to take them up so I removed the bait and left them . When I went to pick them up today two of them have a Flathead on them . My question is should I put a trotline in those two spots for Flathead ? Thanks

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well ones things for sure, if you dont put a troline there, you diffenently wont catch anything.

Second im not sure if Im reading your post right. Are you saying, you removed all the bait, and came back and had 2 flatheads caught on hooks with no bait?

3. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    Yes Jared I had no bait clean hooks and had one flat about 8 LBS and one about 10

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well thats a first for me. Ive heard of channels biting a bare hook, mainly the thought was that the smell of the bait was still on the hook and they probably bit it by accident. Ive never heard of a flathead biting a bare hook though. Id put some live perch on and see what ya get.

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    The biggest flathead I ever caught came on exactly the same situation. We put out willow bank poles with two hooks and a railroad spike one night just at dusk. About 8:pm Lightning, hail, wind. The river flooded. Three days later we went looking for our poles. One had been set at the base of a 15ft. bank which was about the ark in the curve of the river. Normally 15-20ft. deep. It was just barely sticking out of the water so my partner grabbed the line and started pulling it in. After a brief attack on my ancestory he said lets just cut the line, there's too much junk on it. About then it started moving, taking line out of the boat. He grabed that line, I quit laughing, and twenty minutes later we hauled him in. He still had a 2lb. channel cat hanging out of his mouth hooked on our bank pole. True Story.
    Don

6. pete & cat

pete & cat New Member

State:
    il.
    hey i think they might have hit, for the smell of the bait might have still lingered on the hook's

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    If they were silver or crome hooks they flash in the water and they think its a baitfish.Biologists told me that at times thats all they will put on their trotlines.I used to have it happen alot on jugs and trotlines so I asked a family friend which is a biologists and thats what he told me he said that its not uncommon at all.

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It could have been like shortshank said, the flatheads might have hit at it because a smaller cat or other small fish might have came up and got on it because of the lingering smell. I had something almost similar happen at a creek I frequently fish, although it was with rod and reel and it wasen't a catfish. I was just out fishing with minnows under a bobber drifting some swift current and something took my bait, well i reeled in and left my bare hook just dangling about 3 inches into the water while I got another minnow out of the bucket. Well while im getting a minnow I look over and my rod is twitching so i grab it and there was a small creek chub on it and out of nowhere this 3lb smallmouth comes out of the current and smacks the crap out of that chub. It was a weird deal haha. But hey, go back to that spot and try some bait and you might get one that will put that 8lber to shame:wink:

9. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If ya already are catchin flathead, haven't ya already got a flathead line?