Flathead Catfishing with sardines - Does this work?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by back channel, Mar 11, 2006.

1. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Today I just bought a bag of whole frozen sardines. They are about 7 inches in length. I was wondering if they are any good for flathead catfishing? Also if anyone has used frozen bait do you thaw them out all the way before you put them on the hook or do you put them on the hook semi-thawed?
    Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Scott, You may be on to something. These old Flatheads you are after, have been known to bite on about anything! How tough are they when thawed? Will the sardines stay on the hook? That would be the most important thing. I think that the Channels would like them too. If you put them on semi-thawed it wont be long before they are thawed, just a few minutes, so I don't think it would make much difference. Good Luck, and share your results.:cool:

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    i have to agree with jack, i have heard of them working for bait but main thing would be to get to stay on a hook. keep us posted

4. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would think that they would stay on the hook. They do appear to be pretty tough. I have not thawed them out yet but they are at least inch and a quarter thick and they are indiviually frozen with out any liquid or anything of that nature in the bag.

Thanks for the responses:)

5. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i was fishing at a local ***lake and a guy beside of me was using them and he flat wore them out but i went back the next week with the same thing and i didn't even get a bite...maybe i was holding my mouth wrong.:)

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    back channel - I would say that you may be able to catch Flatheads in the spring on the frozen sardines but generally speaking you would be far better off using large live bait. Channel Cats might be interested in the sardines.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Never tried it, could be worth the try though. I have had a lot of success on cut mackeral.

8. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i would recommend keep the bait frozen as long as you can because if you want to take the rest home to freeze they will turn out mushy i recommend buying some dry ice and keep the sardines in a cooler with the dry ice