Flathead catfishing with circle hooks

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Matthew Cook, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    i love using octopus circles with cut bait. you always hook fish with circle hooks. i use regular octopus hooks for my live bait. i was just wondering if i could use circle hooks with live bait like bluegill. will i still hook him in the back or somewhere else?
    i just didn't know if that will work because you are not pulling the hook out of the bait-fish. so far i have only caught channels on circles, never a flathead. will a flathead get hooked like a channel with circles?
    thanks guys

2. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Mathew, I use nothing but circle hooks on my Jugs, using live pearch, hooked through the back, caught blues, flat head and channels with no problem. Hope this helps. :)

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just make sure that when you hook the bait, there's nothing in the way between the hook point and the shank. :0a26:

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I only use circles on cats. They hook themselves. Hook thru the back behind the dorsal fin. Change bait often. :)

5. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I would recomend using a larger size circle hook than normal so shank and tip is not close to bait because as they run hook moves to coner of there mouth if bait is to close to tip of hook it will just pop out of there mouth.I dont use circles i also just use J hooks for live bait.

6. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Hey Matthew, a #5 or 6 Gamakatzu circle hook under a bobber is what my wife caught that flathead and that channel on at Pleasant. We were using small-medium size bluegill and running the hook through him right behind the dorsal fin. Like they said, as long as the tip of the hook is exposed, you shouldn't have a problem. Both of those were hooked perfectly in the corner of the mouth.

7. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    hey jeremy, all those channels were caught with a circle hook. that is good to hear. next time i will try the hooks with some live bluegill. i have 6/0 and 8/0 octopus hooks.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Is there any other hook to use?

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Since the circle hooks came out I don't see a need in using any other hook for Flats or channels. Just my opinion.

10. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    so when you are fishing flathead with circle hooks do you use the clickers or do you just tight-line?

11. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use a tight line, but use the clicker too. I loosen the drag enough to where it will set the hook and take line to let me know there is something there and not taking the rod. Then when you pick it up to start reeling you just lean back on the fish, don't set the hook with circles and keep your thumb on the spool and tighten the drag up a bit and fight the fish. If you put it in free spool and use the clicker,while waiting on the fish the tensioner for the spool will not be good enough and wear out quickly. Just what I do. Hope this helps.

12. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Ive had nothing but bad luck with circle hooks i use 5/0-7/0 kahle hooks

13. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I tell you what I used circle hooks for the first time down in Florida saltwater fishing. I was using live mullet. Hooked the bait in the back and through the lip. I never missed a hit. Circle hooks all the way now for me. Moved all my other hooks to the tackle attic. LOL. Good luck Matthew

Matt

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Matthew,
    When the circle hook started to get popular again (the circle hook is an very old design used by some of the first anglers way back when, carved from a bone I do belive) A fishing buddy and I did a lil experement one weekend setting lines. half circles and half standard J style hooks set in an every other fashon using large bluegills for bait. We caught fish 5 to 1 favoring the circles and have used nothing else on setlines from that night on. and have caught very large flatheads and blues using a Mustad 12/0 circle. the flattie in My avatar was caught a couple of weeks ago on a large bluegill and a Mustad circle. I feel that for setlines circles can't be beat. But for rod and reel fishing I still use a standard style hook because I really like to set the hook and cross there eyes. nothing like setting the hook and see your rod tip not move thats when Ya know youve got a battle on your hands. hope this helps and good luck

15. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I have used them with the clicker and with just a tightline. It would seem though that tightlining would work better. My wife uses a bobber and has great success.

16. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    If you are going to keep tightline, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD ROD HOLDERS!! I swear by circle hooks and I haven't missed very many fish using them. All you have to do is, make sure you have a good amount of tension,but leave enough to let them hang themselves. What I do is just wait to see my pole bow over and then it will, most likely let a bunch of slack in the line,because the fish will usually come at you after it hooks itself and realizes it can't run away.HAHA You then just pick up the pole and hold it at about a 45 degree angle and start reeling, the fish should be on there. Good Luck and I hope this helps!

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I caught all my flatheads and channels this year using a 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle, some on cut bait and some were live bluegills. Catfish are not hook shy so leave as much of the hook exposed as possible.

18. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I only use circles for catfish.I also use them for striper fishing with live herring.I like to put a hook through the nose and another in its ass andout the back.
    This way no matterhow theherringistakenthefishisgoingtohaveahookinitsmouth!

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    "STRONG ROD HOLDERS"-Amen to that!
    We've had lots of time where the circle turned into the bait, which will mak eyou miss a fish every time, but in my opinon the good outweights the bad, even when using large live baits.

20. Otter

Otter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm very frustrated! I have been fishing for flatheads for about a year now and I feel like I'm getting over many of the problems that have caused me grief. No problems catching bait consistently (for the most part). No problems keeping bait alive. One problem- I've had many catfish that take the bluegill, run with it, I fight it almost all the way to the boat and then lose it because it's not hooked.

I don't know if it's because of something I'm doing, but this is happening with circle hooks. I use size 6/0 or 7/0 with bluegills that range from 5-8"

What am I doing wrong???