Flathead catfishing - Wish me luck

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by loki1982, May 9, 2006.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Last night I went down to the local lake tring to get some carp to use as bait. For some reaosn I must be carp retardant cause I cant catch carp for anything. Ive tried wheaties with strawberry soda, several types of dough baits, corn, etc. Occasionally ill catch a bunch one night and then not catch any for weeks. Anyways carp where everywhere sucking the surface around me, they were comming up in the grass splashing etc. I didnt get a bite. So tonight I got 3 more types of dough bait, tortilla, corn, and tried again, no luck even though the fish where all around me sucking the surface. I got out the cast net and landed me a 15 inch buffalo and a 15 inch carp and lost another buffalo all in 2 cast. Tomorrow I plan on putting the buffalo and carp on a some jugs alive. Im hoping a really big flathead or bluecat will get one. Ill let ya know the results. Wish me luck :)

2. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Have you tried a cast net?

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I said I got out my cast net and caught 3 at the end.

4. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    good luck and if thay arethat close just use a hand net

5. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Oh... I hate reading

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    hehe no problem, i actually went back and made sure I did write that :)

Im just hoping there a cat in my lake that can handle a 15 inch bait. The lake has produced 40# blues and 70# flatheads so if theres still some around I should have a chance. Ive never put anything this big on, gonna have to buy some bigger hooks tomorrow before I go out.

7. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    big bait big fish good luck

8. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Ive seen A 60 lb flat with a 2lb drum in its stomach so 15in isnt that radical i dont think.

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If they are sucking the surface try a flosting rig with corn on small hooks #8 long shank . My favorite carp bait is wheats with a banana mixedup.This is sticky enough to hold on a larger hook and the longer it lays in the water,the harder it gets. Have had them 3' long with this bait.Good luck

10. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    you can try a mashmello on your j to so it flots on top of the water

11. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Try using something really greasy like french fries! Sometime when the carp won't bite for me I will go ahead and chum with some dorritos or other kind of chips like that. It seems to make them wana feed more.

Good luck with the flathead catfish, I don't think that the Blue catfish would hit alive carp.

Josh

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well guys Im soryr to say I didnt get time to get ym fishing in this weekend. The day I was going to put my baits out my car broke down. I worked on it for about 1 hour in a neighbor im unfamaliar with, in 95 degree heat before I got ahold a friend to come pick me up. I was soo worn out I didnt even fish.

I frozen the carp and plan to use them as cutbait next weekend and if I can catch some more, use a few live. Ill update ya if I get any big cats.

13. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I put out my baits this last week. Both of my carp didnt get any fish. I did get some small blues and channels on some shad though. Then I put some minnows out and got a few small crappie and sandbass. A nice flathead avoiding me though I can feel it, its just a matter fo time.

14. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    good luck man catch a big one!!!.