Flathead catfishing tips - my 1st post

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by loganfrum94, Aug 7, 2009.

1. loganfrum94

loganfrum94 New Member

State:
    ohio
    this is my first post and im in love with catfishing my favorite is flats if it aint a flat its bait any tips on catching these beasts?
    thx

2. BARathke

BARathke New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Live Bait / Log Jams / Feeder Creeks

Good luck and welcome to the BOC.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the mighty BOC! & yes live threadfin/gizzards are the ticket!:smile2::wink:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How do you go about catching flatheads? What are some of your favorite tactics, bait, tackle etc.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Logan welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a23::0a25:

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Logan welcome to the BOC. Just get you a big ol kahle hook and a live shan, gill or skip and throw him on and cast him out. Then its just the waiting game.

7. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    The bait should be alive large flatheads do not eat dead things or worms unless they are hardup (its rare). Places to search are brush piles or areas where crappie or perch are present, bridges, dams, logs, very large rocks and ect.

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    If you can read up on the two, you will find out A BIG TROPHY FLATHEAD is Like A Big trophy Buck...

Both are Territorial(They have a certain places/areas they call home during the daylight hours, and both are nocturnal beasts, munching on whatever comes along during the day, but move at night to get their fill!.

With a little homework in the Field/water observing the terrain and cover / wind and current / types of food that are ready available at the time,, Put them together, and heres the most important thing you must have to bag the trophy of a lifetime, PATIENCE, PATIENCE!, and more PATIENCE never get up and leave early,(You've done your homework right ?). I've set and waited/fished a area for a 3 day span before I caught a 38lb flathead.(Because I knew I was in the right spot and I waited it out.) If you no he's in the patch of woods/water's you are on, WAIT until he makes his move. And I can Guarantee; you will catch a trophy.IMHO.:wink:

Good Luck

Tight Lines to you Bro.

9. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    amen man i couldnt have said it better myself....RAT

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

:0a25:Welcome to the BOC Logan.Best advice I could give ya off hand is to use good lively bait,suitable tackle to handle a 50# fish,and then just try to get out and fish long,hard,and as often as possible.

11. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Logan!:0a25: The best advice I could give would be to start in small-medium rivers where you know flatheads are present. The water is a lot easier to read in smaller bodies of water. Here are a few other tips...
    1)don't overlook the daytime bite! just fish right in the cover
    2)mix in cutbaits in the spring and fall
    3)you don't need a 2lb. carp to catch a 50lbr.
    4)leave the circle hooks for the other cats
    5)be persistent, it takes time to learn these fish(trust me I know!)
    6)PRESERVE THIS SPECIES FOR THE FUTURE! they are a resilient fish, but
    putting the big guys back is catfish conservation in it's purest form and
    the only way to ensure trophy fish get bigger.
    GOOD LUCK LOGAN!:wink:

12. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    great advice so far! Start simple! Try a carolina rig with a user friendly weight like a no roll or a disc sinker. Find an outside bend with a shallow feeding area adjacent to deeper water. toss out something lively and start with something hardy that will stay alive longer (green sunny, bullhead, rock bass). Shad can be a headache. Flats will hit cut bait if it's fresh but start with live bait for your best odds. Good luck! Fish in a way that makes you feel confident, the more confident you are in your setup, the longer you will be able to stay out there.

13. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well Logan, looks like the fellas have you headed in the right direction so I'll just say welcome to the BOC. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

14. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    welcome to the boc, there's hundreds of different ways to catch flats bro. what kind of system are you fishing? how deep is it? is there cover by where you're fishing? a bend? I know you'll get a lot of answers but you gotta help us out with a little more info.

15. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Logan!!! Hock_paul is giving you some very good advice.

16. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Study the guys and gals posts on here and look at the library. A little reading on here goes a long ways. Good luck.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All my big flatheads come on dead baits, last year one over 50 and 3 over 40-lbs came on dead bait, cut fish mainly shad.

I honestly believe flatheads will hit cut bait just as much, more if your me than cut bait.

I have fished cut bait, and live bait side by sdie for monster flatheads, they chose the dead bait 100 percent of the time.

18. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    welcome to BOC logan,i have learned more from this site then all my yrs of fishing so my tip is keep reading and good luck

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Logan welcome to the BOC, from Illinois