Flathead catfishing the Muskingum River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathead79, Aug 29, 2006.

1. flathead79

flathead79 New Member

State:
    wv
    hi everyone i'm new to the boc i was woundering if anyone could give me any information about fishing for flatheads on the muskingdom river at the locks mainly lock 2/3 and luke chute i caught numerous channel cats at these loctions and only a few small flats any ideas

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Josh, you might get a few more replies about the area, if you post the same question in the WV section under WV Talk or WV Rivers Talk. Vern

3. flathead79

flathead79 New Member

State:
    wv
    i am new to the boc i was woundering if anyone could give me any advice on how to catch big flatheads on the muskindom river at the locks 2/3 and luke chutes i have caught numerous channels at these locations ive tried bluegills and creek chubs caught a few small flats i have had a probem latley with gars any suggestions on this also

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC! All I can tell you about Luke chute is there is great walleye fishin in the whirlpool area during the spring. I have never fished Devola but would love to. The Beverly lock I know like the back of my hand. For channels try below the spillway and any fallen timber. There is a washout that goes to about 10-12 feet below the dam whereas the rest of it usually is 4-5 feet deep. Currently it should be just about 3 feet. The first creek downstream (Wolf Creek) has a 20 foot hole and my favorite spot (I caught my very 1st flathead there) is a sharp turn in the river across from the golf course on 60. Nice deep hole slow but steady (and strong) current. I have not been downstream of there much at all. Almost forgot. I had friends down there that liked fishing the mouth of a very small feeder creek on the right before you get to the big hole.

Good Luck,
    Shawn(OH)

5. ripleyhunter

ripleyhunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    Don't know much about that river but as far as the gar go you might as well pull anchor and move. Every DA@# time they find my bait on the Ohio River they never leave, so I do!

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Josh!

7. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Several flatheads are caught on the lower end of the Muskingum, from the mouth to the Devola dam. Same as most places, bait such as bluegill, skipjack and goldfish do well. Deepest water is around the Marietta Yaht Club area.

Hey Vern!! The Muskingum River is in Ohio!! :lol: