Flathead Catfishing - Slipfloat question #2

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathead_ky, Feb 21, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Another slipfloat question... At the moment I have 20lb test Berkley Big Cat line on a couple of my combos. Now after I tie the stop,thread the bead,put the float on, and add the weight. I was thinking about using a 30# test black barrel swivel tied to the main line and then tying on a leader of a bigger lb test line. Has anyone used this setup before with this type of swivel?

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I like to use a lighter line, after the swivil, so that if it breaks, I keep my mainline, all 300 yards of it! Other then that it sounds fine to me!

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I rig like that, but use the same size line all the way.

4. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Whats the best knot to tie to the swivel from the mainline and to the swivel from the leader?

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    flathead i use a 30lb main line and a 80lb leader but i havent had to break off to many. i like to use my slip corks when fishing over the top of structure and in open water when the fish are suspended around the thermocline line in the summer. i like the the little rubber stop instead of the tie on things. i cant get the tie to stop sliding up the line when i catch a fish.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    fky,
    The best knot to use is the one you are most proficient at tying. Palomar, clinch, improved clinch, trilene, double grinner are all very good but all must be tied properly. Try them all, one is sure to be better suited to your tying style. Don't forget to lube the knot with saliva before you pull it tight...W