Flathead catfishing rod or keep it a channel catfishing rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by vince, Jan 15, 2007.

1. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey guys

I have a St Croix 7'2"MHF 17-36lbs with a Abu garcia reel 5501c3 ( the 1 might be for left handed retrieve) Can I keep this for a flathead rod or should I keep it as my channel cat rod...The thing is i do not want to let the monster get away because you never know when momma hits and i dont want to let a 70 or 80 pounder go because im a little week in rod and reel..

I also picked up a st croix rod ( triumph model st croix made in china)
    7' extra heavy power, fast action 36-80 lbs test 3-8oz for $99 ...also bought a abu garcia 6500c3 this rod for sure shoulod be able to yank the pigs out of the logs and trees that the rivers have in them..

What do ya think?

thanks Vince

2. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Would Use The First Rod For Channels And Your Second Rod For Flatheads, Although Both Rods Would Probably Work Well For Either Application.

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I agree with tnkatman... Either rig would work well for both channels and flathead. Your second rig is more ideal for the big show, but I would have faith in your first rig as well...

Try them both out, if you do lose a big one, hate to say it, but you will get the thrill of the chase and fight all over again!

Cheers

4. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Well Vince, it really dos'nt matter what size the rod is if you have your drag set right. I have yet to catch a big flattie but I have caught 5 1/2 ft sharks on 7' med heavy action el cheapo rod many times. As long as your not trying to horse it in you should be fine

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I used 7' muskie rod as heavy action, Its good rod for catfish. but right now I sold it to my father, I have some ugly stick catfish, it ok with me...

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think u maybe a good choice, on ur set ups. U can use St Croix 7'2"MHF 17-36lbs with a Abu garcia reel 5501c3 for Channels Cat, and ur other rig for Flatheads.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    With my 7'2 St. Croix Musky rod, I've yanked flatheads out of cover.

Just spool up with 65lb power pro and nothing gets away.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with this post.The St Croix are great rods and will serve you well. You will probably want to use the 6500c3 reel on the flathead rod. You will need the extra line capacity and drag.

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I agree with Kevin, either one would work fine for flats. I usually don't use any heavier then 30lb test and generally I use a 7 1/2 ft. medium action red wolf cat rod. Most of it is in how you fight the fish, but I guess if your going to be fishing an extremely heavy current area where horsing the fish in a little is needed, the later rod would be your best bet.

10. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think your rod and reel should be fine. Sure, you could use a bigger reel. However, I'm sure more fish are lost due to bad knots, damaged line, snags, etc than because of the rod/reel.

If you're drag is set right, you can catch big fish on light tackle. My biggest channel cat was taken on a light spinning reel, on a light action rod. 8# line.

Shawn