Flathead Catfishing Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by motodragon2003, Aug 28, 2006.

1. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In the back of a man made lake near me (Glenn Flint Lake) there is an area that has a crap load of dead trees sticking out of the water with a few that have fallen over and submerged....this water is really murky and about 10 feet max deep. On one of this area there is an even shallower area that is maybe 3-4 feet deep with alot of underwater foilage....so much so I can't venture in ther with my boat for fear of the motor getting tangled up..........

now to the question.

Would these areas be a good spot to fish crawdads and bluegills?? My wife recently caught me 3 dozen craw's while at the lake and I was thinking about going back to this section of the water and fishing for cats......

Its hard for me to grasp the idea that these bigger fish will remain in shallow water during the day...I've always been taught fish retreat to deeper water during the heat.........but I caught a good size cat near these spots earlier this year....its kinda what sparked my catfishing frenzy...even though I havne't caught a nice one since then....I'm still thirsty for more.

Any ideas or inputs from anyone would be great....especially if you have fished this particular lake.

2. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I can't help with your lake, but have some general ideas. Try the edges of the shallow water from sundown on. The flatheads should move from deep to the shallower water to feed when it starts to get dark. Hope this helps some. grizzly

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The main thing with the cats would be the water temperature, the amount of oxygen in the water, the clarity of the water and available escape routes. You find them - you should find cats. I'd definetly give the area a try, but think you will do better with perch or live bait. Crawdads always seemed to me to work better around rocks and gravel- their natural habitat.

4. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    AwShucks said it . if the water is 10' deep around that area then I would definitely fish that area with the bait that you mentioned.Then sit back and hold on to you poles.Good Luck

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Josh, sounds like a great spot to try in the spring when the crappie are spawning. Flatheads will move to very shallow waters feeding on the crappie and bluegills. As summer aproaches with the warmer temps flatheads will move back into deeper holes