Flathead catfishing question - Hi guys new here

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by got one, Apr 5, 2007.

1. got one

got one New Member

State:
    michigan
    first off....great site!!!!

quick intro...married 3 kids love river fishing in general, especially at night when there's no boat traffic and it's quiet with the exception of a car or jumping fish.

this spring i have decided to fish for flathead. i have been 5 times so far with no flatheads but 15 channels, so it's still been great.
    where i'm fishing there's a bunch of gobies so i've been using them whole and cut up. thanks to this site, where you guys usually suggest using bait fish from the area your fishing.

well, the other night a guy gave me a gill and i hooked it thru the tail i was using a 3/0 worm hook (i havn't found any large circle hooks at the bait shop or at wally world.) well, when i reeled in for the night the gill was gone and i never seen a hit. is it possible that the hook i'm using isn't about to work or should i just hook it thru the lips?

any suggestions on how to hook live bait fish? thru tail, behind dorsal, thru eyes, lips?

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Chris, welcome to the BOC. you will find plenty of information on here, whether it be for flathead or channel. As long as it's a kitty, we got the information!

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Chris welcome to the BOC!

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Welcome to the Brotherhood Chris, so glad to have you with us, keep after the flatheads, you will get them. I caught one last week on a worm in a lake.

Again, so glad to have you with us, keep us posted on your trips.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC chris

6. got one

got one New Member

State:
    michigan
    thanks for the welcome guys.
    i caught one years ago on a crawler while walleye fishing. i had no net and it was on 8lb test. it took a good 45 mins to an hour to wear it out enough for me to put my hand in it's gills and i still wasn't all that sure of it. i tip my hat to any of you noodlers.

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Chris were glad your here!!

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25: Chris,

To the "Best of the Best" when it comes down to fishing web-sites. :wink:

Glad to have you here Buddy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

9. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Welcome to the BOC. You will love it here.

11. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC.

12. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    welcome to the BOC

I dont know about the hook thing though Im fairly new to using live bait myself. hopefully someone more knowledgable will post about it because im wondering the same thing

13. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    welcome to the BOC.

14. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    welcome to the BOC Chirs.

15. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    welcome to the boc chris the best catfish site on the net

16. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Welcome friend. Go on line and get you some circle hooks!!!! The fish pretty much catch themselves on those things. I'm a big fan of cut bait myself.... We have big cats here but nothing like the monsters the fellas from down south are sporting. Let me know how you make out.

Richard

17. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I usually hook them Just behind the Dorsol Fin this doesn't damage the gill at all and it swims around with no problems( this gives the vibrations of a wounded fish) and the cats will come running.

18. jrh_67

jrh_67 New Member

State:
    texas
    I hook em behind the dorsal fin also. I can usually barely see my rodtip moving from the swimming fish so it gives me confidence the bait is still on. I've noticed a couple of times right before a hit the bait started going crazy...I guess he saw it coming...lol. Personally i've not had luck with the circle hooks but it's probably just me to stubborn to change my fishing style. I usually use khale hooks...the size depends on what i'm fishing for.

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The thin wire hooks used in bass and walleye fishing aren't as good for live bait. They tend to tear through the bait on the cast. Unless you can just gently lob them, which limits your distance. Look for Gammakatsu Octopus hooks, or Octopus circle hooks. I use the regular "J" hooks, don't care for circles. I mainly use 10/0 but go down to 8/0 if usinging small baits. These hooks are thicker and spread the load of the bait so you can cast. Plus they wont straighten unless you hook the fish that swallowed Jonah. In the last few yrs I started hooking most baits in the nose to keep them facing into the current. It helps keep them alive longer.

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri Chris.