Flathead Catfishing In Santee Cooper

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BG CAT, Apr 29, 2008.

1. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    What is the best way to catch the big Flatheads in Santee Cooper?

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I have had good success using live white perch and bream. Shallow water adjacent to deeper water can produce monsters. Cast some baits in shallow and some deep. Also try fishing structure in deeper water. I love the trees and stumps of Marion. I also only fish at night. I have caught some nice Flats during the day in the spring though. Good luck!

3. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I was there this past week. Several were being caught on bream and american shad.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey im not to familiar with that area of water, but one good way that I have noticed to catch some nice size flathead is to fish for them at night and find smaller parts that leads into deeper parts of the water and fishing with a small blue gill on the bottom catches alot of them and also the blue gill heads work great too, if that dont work for you you can always catch some shad and use them there good bait too.

5. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Flatheads have not started the BITE yet, but will soon June earliest July and august seem the best for size. OK to answer more direct....

1st go catch the biggest BREAM you can I mean bigger than your hand get 10-15 of them make a bream fisherman mad by telling him its bait...then you know you got the right size ones.

2nd look at the map of Marion near the dam and find the river channel (flip map often to feel the power)

3rd use your depth finder GPS to find the river bead and where it winds in and out we call them humps.....send me a PM if you can't figure this out.

4th put the Bream about 2 foot off the bottom on top of that HUMP near the river channel....when the rod tip wiggles allot you know he is there and then....

5th..HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE..... cause you might just get what you asked for MONSTER FLATHEAD!

6th if you feel like you hanged a tree don't despair it will shake its head in a minute or two and you will find that bark turned to skin and drag will begin to strip.

Personally I seem to be able to boat 40+ flats easy but its the dang 70+ blues I want (only one in 15 years of fishing santee).....want to go to my grave with a 80+ in the boat.

Curt

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    curt for your info flats have been bitting good for two months right now fish 15ft to 2ft on lake moultrie the seem to want big shad right now good luck

7. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro

Any size or just 15-20lbers?

I was mostly speaking of the bigun's 40's june and july on the river humps for me works well. (there was a tad of levity in my post also)

Curt

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I 2nd that Roundhill. I saw just this weekend I bet 30 30+lbers . I myself caught a 35lber about 1.5 months ago got a 37lber so I think they are in full force. I dont know what size a biggun is but a 15-20lber is a big fish in my book. I say book a trip with a local guide (Capt Roundhill) soon if you want big fish cause they are going strong.

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I caught a 30# Flat and a 18# Flat last weekend on Moultrie so I would have to agree with Roundhill and James. They are starting to bite better from what I can see.

10. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    I have to agree with Roundhill and James cause a little over a moth ago I caught my PB 37.4 with James. So flatheads are definitly biting.

11. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Thanks guys for this great input! I'm headed to Santee this Friday to night fish for them in the div canal. Will also consider the humps idea too.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Deep structure located next to a fast moving channel or a food source