Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good flathead catfish fishing locations from land in Northern Florida? I have read that there is some good fishing for them in the Apalachicola River but have not gone there yet since its a far drive from where I live in South Florida. Thinking of going up soon to Northern Florida to fish for bass and maybe for catfish. Any help will be appreciated and I will return the favor for anyone that helps me.

Reactions: chadinsc and Catpaw

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding @MattTheFlatCatKid . I already found several locations I can fish from the bank for flathead,blue, and channel catfish in Northern Florida but it never hurts to ask those who are locals in the area. I tend to return the favor to those who help me and will help those who help me. There's a member from this forum who took me on his boat last week to a very nice lake and I will be taking him shark fishing with me if he decides to come down here to South Florida in the near future.

Reactions: MattTheFlatCatKid

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Hell yeah. I can't wait to go shark fishing. I'm going next month to Wilmington NC. Well, maybe there's just not alot of people on here fishing the river your talking about. Of course I'm sure there's people in Florida that know of some spots holding flatheads but honestly it's just as easy and funner to find em on your own. Do you have a kayak?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did some more research and found a couple more land based flathead catfish locations. Seems like the flathead population is increasing in Northern Florida and lots of people are catching big ones. A new state record was caught less than 2 years ago. Yes I have a kayak to deploy baits if needed and have some big reels with plenty of line capacity. Most of the time I catch 6-8 foot sharks just casting from the shore so I only bring the kayak when fishing for +8 footers.

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
1,802 Posts
I have been hearing of big flatheads in northern florida for a few years now, I think they labeled them invasive in some of the rivers, I would be interested in hearing how you do, or some info on fishing them there, don't really have many florida catmen on this board.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been hearing of big flatheads in northern florida for a few years now, I think they labeled them invasive in some of the rivers, I would be interested in hearing how you do, or some info on fishing them there, don't really have many florida catmen on this board.
Yes they are considered a invasive species in Northern Florida and many people are catching them in the 20-60 pound range. A young man caught a 63.8 pounder a couple years back and many local fishermen say there are +100 pound flatheads swimming in Northern Florida at this moment. I been catfishing for over 23 years now in South Florida ( mostly for channel catfish and exotic catfish) and just recently started to target blue and flathead catfish on my vacations. Both these fish are a long drive from my South Florida home so I definitely have to do research in advance before making the drive. Will let you know when I decide to fish for flathead catfish and how it goes.

Reactions: Catpaw
1 - 9 of 9 Posts