Flathead catfishing in log jams

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by fat_fish55, Jun 22, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    heres a few questions if you guys could help out
    1.when fishin a pretty good sized logjam would you fish the upstream or downstrem side of the jam?
    2.also where about on the jam would you cast ,it starts at shore and goes about 15 yards out into the river ending up at about 18 ft of water
    3. and at last anyone know the spawning progress in the mississippi river half way up illinois?think flatty fishing should pick up or slow down as we get closer to july?

sorry for so many questions hope you can answer a couple
    thanks guys

2. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i would try to cast to the breaks in the current. the cats wait there to ambush prey. Thats about all I know though, not a huge river fisher.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i fish the front from shore all the way out to the tip. and i think the spawn is upon you brother, its starting here.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How long does the spawn last?

5. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i like to work the front face, especially if there's current on it. If the wood is in deep water, work the entire face of the wood. If your in a couple feet of water, fish towards the midstream end of the wood.

After working the front, you can drop a bait in behind the snag as well, especially if you're in deeper water (even better when the snag is creating a good current break.)

Shawn

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I would start by fishing the up stream side of the brush pile. I also pay particular attention to the river current/flow into the brush. Is there a swirl in front of a section, does the river flow around the end of the pile seem to be faster or just even. These offer indications of what you can't see under the water as to the way the brush is piled up so you have the best chance of presenting your bait in the most likely spot. I'd start about 4-5ft. out away from the bank unless the bank side is straight up and down. If it has 4ft. of water at least at the shore, I'd start right there. Fish across the front of the pile using the current to suck my bait right into the pile. Then the end using the same consept with the current presenting my bait as it rounds the end of the pile. Then the back side. I'd pull right up into the pile and tie on a limb right in the middle. Then you're free to fish both sides.
    Don

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Are flatheads spooked easily? Wouldn't you lower your chances of s trike by putting your boat in the log jam and fish over them?

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    There won't be a lot of current behind the jam, but if there is just idle up to your tie off spot. If you ram into the pile, absolutely you'd spook them. During the day they won't go very far from home/safety even if you take your oar and beat on the limbs, they will come back. The chances of catching a flathead nestled under a pile of logs facing down stream is pretty limited. He uses the current to bring the food to him without having to move around and use up a bunch of energy. That's why you are parking right in the pile. Drop your bait right on his door step, he will take you up on your offer, make him swim out of his cover any distance..forget it.
    Don