Flathead catfishing in central Illinois - Can you suggest any Flathead Cafish Baits?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by hagonzal, Oct 6, 2007.

1. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi all,

I have just found this board, and I have already found tons of great tips. I live in the Champaign area, and usually go catfish fishing to Clinton lake. Fishing there for Channel cats has usually been very good, but I think there are not many flatheads there. I have gone to a few places to try to catch Flatheads without luck, I went to the hennepin canal and the rock river, and did not get a bite, I used live bluegills.

Can you guys suggest good places for flatheads in the central Illinois area, and what bait to use?

Thanks
    --Hector

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hector,

You will get the local members in here soon.

You cant go wrong with live bait, or fresh cut bait.

Sounds like you got a trip planned! :wink:

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Lake Sangchris is about 90 miles away from ya. May be a bit of drive..It a great flathead lake though.. Maybe somebody closer to ya can respond

4. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah, 90 miles is not that far. Any tips about good locations in the lake?

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    As I recall there is a warm-water discharge at clinton lake. this could be a good spot. other than that, just look for structure. and as paul said, you cant go wrong with live or cut bait. good luck.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Damn face on Sangchris is great when they are on the fall feeding pattern. Last I heard though, the water temps there were still in the mid to upper 80's, so I'm not sure if they are in the fall pattern or not...

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Hello Hector, you definitely don't want to over look the BLUE CATS THERE AT Clinton Lake, some Nice ones in there, Back in late 80's -94 I used to fish east of 48 Bridge and under it, also along the damn, and if you have boat access get ya a map of the lake and just out of the marina to the south about 100 yards the old quarry pits are there and are also very good spots. As far as your bait like the others have said live baits, shad,gills etc. also if you head to the Rock River you may want to get in touch with CattMatt on here, thats his area of expertise, he can get you lined out for that River for sure. Don't pass up below the spillway at Clinton Lake either it can be very good fishing! And what the heck your also with in a nice trip to the Kaskaskia River above Shelbyville, get ya a map or Google map the area there are several places to hit from the bank and a couple ramps that way also....Good Fishing.

8. izatt82

izatt82 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yeah i am hoping to hit up the damn at sanchris once it cools a bit looking like next week it should be pretty cool. maybe

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome izatt82, we sure could use a nice long cold rain to drop that water temp. down a bit and raise the level, have not been up there for a few weeks, the power plant lake here at coffeen is still running 90*, ofcourse that don't matter much when the ramps are dry....... let us know how ya do if you make it out, been gonna run up that way again here soon!:wink:

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish rivers exclusivly, all my flatheads have come on cut shad this year, fresh and frozen.

11. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello fishnfwl, I didn't know there were blue cats there, I will definetly try to catch them. The hot water discharge has been on of my favorite spots, but this year with the very hot weather it has been too hot, and they will close the area in Oct. 10 when hopefully the water temperature is going to be cooler. I have also fished below the spillway mostly for strippers, it is quite good when there is water coming over the dam. Is the Kaskaskia bove Shelbyville good for Flatheads?

12. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi flathunter, which rivers do you fish?

13. reeftank

reeftank New Member

State:
    iowa bettendorf
    I grew up in the quad cities live in florida now miss my big cats id get nice flatheads in the steel dam and under the milan dam on cut shad .

14. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Any of you guys that fish Sangchris ever need a partner for a night just let me know. I'd definately hook up with you for some fishing and learning. Just pm me if youre interested.

15. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Does anyone fish Clinton for Flatheads? I've seen some nice pictures of Flatheads at the Mascoutin bait shop, but I have never caught one.

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Like before H., its been a few years but yes I used to basically live on that lake.... and any where from the 48 bridge (on north side bank) up into the hot water discharge (when it is open) to the old quarry pits south of marina are all very good spots, LIVE bait was always the best there for the flats, and Blue but did catch a lot of blue on cut bait and big shrimp....Luck to ya. Stop in sometime at Green Acres CG/Bait and talk to a little fella name Danny he will give ya the latest scoop on the lake (he is on route 10):wink: tell'm Randy from PCC said howdy!

17. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will definetly try Sangris, and maybe give another try to the Rock River. Thanks.

18. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks again for the detailed info. I go to Clinton a lot, it is my favorite lake. I have fished the 48 and 14 bridges, and also the hot water discharge. I will try the quarry pits. I will also use live bait, for the most part I have been using cut shad. I will definetlystop at Green Acres and ask a few questions.

19. jcat

jcat New Member

State:
    IL
    Recommend trying the boat ramp area (strawcass ) I think they call it. The ramp at south end of lake. Fish at sunset into night, live shad or bluegill on a slipsinker rig. You will get bit:roll_eyes:

20. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice information everyone :big_smile: