Flathead Catfishing - Choosing the Right Rod for them!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathead_ky, Mar 21, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    At my local lake (Fishtrap Lake) I use a slip float setup for cats (channels and flatheads). I am going to get me another rig. I have found a Quantum Open Face reel, but I am trying to decide on what rod I am going to match with it. I am choosing between a 7'6" Medium Heavy or a 7" Medium Heavy Ugly Stick Catfish Rod. What would be my best choice, because I am using a 9" float and going to be using bluegill, big chubs, etc.?

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Go by the rated "Lure weight" if you want the rod to work proper. How much does the Gill, possible sinker & boober weigh? Are you ever going to need to use more weight with the same rod?

hope this helps!

2nd opinion: If none can be found in writting I would not buy it! Do not go by the action for this can be very misleading, it varys alot from what I've seen.

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Go for the 7'6 ugly stick, a little more flex for distance.

4. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    i recomend the same great rods

5. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That ugly stick catfish is a good rod. It will handle most any catfish you'll ever hook up with.

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I like the Quantum Big Cat rods. Can throw alot of weight too. But do make sure you read the rods you choose and get what you want.

7. flyguyskt

flyguyskt New Member

State:
    sd
    i have discovered that muskie rods have serious backbone and handle BIG fish with zeal! i own 3 one loomis and two fenwicks. 2 penn reels and one abu garcia! all have stoppe 60# flats in heavy currents with numerous 40-50 # ers

8. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I personally like Quantum, they have good rods for good deals.
    I own 2 Quantum Big Cats, 2 Quantum Trophys, and 2 Quantum Blue runners
    all combos.

9. sem21

sem21 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I Dont Do Much Boat Fishing, So I Use Two 17' Meathunter That I Cut Down To 12' Poles, That Made Them Realy Stiff And Good For Snagging Also. The Real I Use Is The 7000c3 Abu. I Also Have A 12' Finwick That Are Realy Hard To Find.

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I'm lookin at the ugly sticks myself. My question is what is a good hook size? I don't want to big or to small of a hook. I was thinkin 5/o or 6/o.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I use a PENN 525 MAG with baitclicker with a 7'6 St. Croix Musky Rod. This is the same setup I use to striper in New Jersey.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    When bobber fishing for cats from the bank I like a long rod. At least 9', seems I can get my bait out there easier and get more distance. Also a longer rod helps you control your line a little better and helps take up any slack line for a hook set. Long rods are not good out of a boat though so I have my 9' bobber pole for bank fishing only.

13. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    I would choose the 7' rod if you are planning on fishing from a boat and the 7'6" rod if you do most of your fishing from the bank. The 7' rod would be my choice for an "all around" rod. Other than that I think either would be a good choice.

14. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You have to match your hook with your baitfish.
    I use a 7/0 - 8/0 with big baitfish 5/0 with little bait or cut bait.

15. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i have a fenwick jig 6'6 heavy action rod, it will set you back 100 bux but it has unbelievable back bone to it, and also descent sensitivity. i have it paired up with a quantum blue runner reel which is around 60 bux but the performance of these two are unmatched by anything i've ever seen.

16. Ducain

Ducain New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    7' Ugly Stick catfish rod with an Abu Garcia baitcasting reel.

Good stuff.

17. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    fan of the ugly stick here to

18. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have 7 rods I use for the bank and for the boat i have a 6' 6"shakespeare sturdy stick with a 320 GTI reel a senator 2 5'5" rod rated at 50lbs to 150lbs line nice rod and reel I got it out of a cabel magazin in the very back it was a fishing trip artical and they were ocean fishing with it, so i called and they got it to me in about a week.the rod is a tidewater with rollers all up it.long story short I like penn reels the most have had alot of good fights with them but like all my rod and use them all it never hurts to have diffrent kinds of rods and reels, diffrent rod for diffrent thangs. i wish you all the luck on finding that sertan rod and reel but just remember it sometime dosent matter what the rod or reel but how the fisherman plays the fish in point the 123lbs flat in kanasas caught on 12lbs line.:crying: good luck to all

19. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I like the backbone and sensitivity of my Fig Rig 7'6" Medium/Heavy power, Medium/Fast action Carbon/Graphite musky rod. It's powerful and very light owing to the graphite composition. It's rated for 25-80 pound line and 1.5 to 4 oz lure.

It fills the bill for me for drifting and bait fishing. It casts like a 12 foot rod and will stop a 30 pound flathead in his tracks.

20. ks_catman

ks_catman New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Got my vote, same set-up...