Flathead catfishing at a bridge

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by countrycat15, Oct 2, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey yall,i fish a river that is said to have big flatheads in it,well anyway,were i fish there is a bridge a little left of me and to the left of that there is a dam were water runs off,so my quistion is should i be fishing close to the bridge,close to the dam,or some were else.

any info yall have will be greatly apprectiated.thanks

2. ironorr

ironorr New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Does the bridge have large pillars? I have heard that near bridge pillars there can be very deep holes and riprap along them which would be good holding areas for them. I am also very interested in what other people have to say about fishing near large bridges.

3. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Both the bridge and the dam are potential good spots. You'll have to invest time in both places to find out which is better .

4. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Both are great spots especially the pillars.Work it at all angles especially the backside.The cats tend hold there because of the current break.They`re just waiting for a easy meal to pass by...My biggest Flattie was caught behind a bridge pillar on a cut gill head.Try it and let us know...

5. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Well not knowing the distance from the dam to the bridge Its hard to judge if its close than there should be a current break on the backside of the bridge pillars which would create a tube were they could get out of the main current if the bridge is not that close than you need to fish closer to the dam and try to figure out the current breaks there trial and error are some times the best teacher.Good luck Bro

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I caught my biggest flathead in the main channel behing a bridge.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    is the bridge upstream or down stream from the dam ? you say water runs off the dam , when it gets to the bottom of the dam does it shoot out or fall straight down ? is there a large boil of water below the dam ? how many feet does the water fall over the dam and does it run over it all the time ?

8. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I would first fish the bridge pillars, if one or all the pillars had logs jammed on them then thats where I would fish as long as the water was deep enough. Then i would see if there is a hole at the lower end of the dam caused by the water coming over it. Look for eddies, current breaks and structure below the dam. If the dam is like a concrete wall in the river then I would fish the upstream side of it also. Fish right against the wall, it should be deeper water there and flattys will prowl the edge of it just like the bridge pillars.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    These guys have gave you some great info. Alot of good area to work with there.

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have fished a large bridge a few times this year.. I would recomend finding out where the channel runs through and fish the closest pillar to that channel with a live blue gill or creek chub... Big Channels, Blues, and flattys will run the strecth day and night

11. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    Big bridge? how big is too big? I have a large bridge with large pillars near our local ramp. No logs on front but there appears to be about 20 feet of slack water behind the bridge. Good place to try. Any info to attact this spot or should I let it be?

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    it is down stream,and the water falls straight down,there is a large boil of water below the dam,the water falls about 3feet off the dam,and the water runs all the time,and also there is a bunch of logs on top of the dam,not sure about below it.

13. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Fish the top of that dam where the logs are. Use a big bluegill for bait and your HEAVIEST tackle.

14. MOfisher314

MOfisher314 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What would you guys reccommend for fishing with bluegill/goldfish around big pillars? but the current is not strong at al.l Size hook? Weight size?

Thanks ahead of time!

15. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i have caught some good flatties by bridges