Flathead catfishing above a dyke

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by roughneckcatman, Jul 25, 2006.

1. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I am only on my second year of blue cat fishing the Missouri river. I know big blues are caught above rock dykes in the flats at night. My question is where exactly above the dyke is the best location to anchor boat? How far from dyke? how far away from bank? what are the best depths at night? I fished a tournament last saturday night there was a 81LB blue weighed, 67LB blue, 58LB blue, and several blues over 20lbs. All i could catch was small fish. I had cut shad, cut bluegill, and for flatties had goldfish and creek chubs. But i mainly fished for blues just because these tourneys i have been fishing in are all won with big blues. Any comments and/or help would be greatly appreciated. My 2 big blues last year were 17LBS and 28LBS. I want the 50lb or bigger and i know they are in there!!!!

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    There's no real answer to your question man. All dykes are different. Even if you have 10 dykes in a row on a long straight away. A couple are going to be shorter one or two might have a cut in them. For that matter are you sure they are catching them on the flats? I have not been getting hits up there.

3. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    Josh is on target, that's a tough question to answer.
    roughneckcatman get out there and try several of the flats at night. Stay only 30 to 40 minutes at each one. Throw shad sides, heads and whole shad at them. If you can get your hands on some skip jack throw that.

Position your boat about halfway between two dykes (you should be on a flat either mud or sand) fish current between 6 to 8 feet deep. Give this a shot and let us know how you do.

4. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i would like to help, the missouri is all i fish, between omaha and platsmouth nebraska. i have found that around bridge pillars have produced large blues in the main current. hell in-fisherman actually had a article on it. their should be skewed holes on the sides of the pillars, use your depth finder to find the deepest part. (be careful the current can be reall violent and shifty around the pillars.) also fish the seam that the dykes make. as dykes stick out into the current they make current seams, hence the name it actually looks like a seam connecting the main channel to the either slack water or eddy right behind the dike. another easy indicator is the large boils it makes. i generally fish the head of the boil which is usually the deepest. if the water is low enough like now you should be able to anchor close enough to the boil where you can fish the seam, the boil, and the slack water on the flats at the same time. take this method and use different combinations and you will find out where they are and what they are biting on.

hope this helps sorry about the lengthy explanation.

P.S. If you try this don't anchor in the boil it throws the boat around and your lines will twist.

5. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished the tournament also and we finished 4th with 95 lbs. We fish sand flats all night and should of had 5 more blues in the boat. We had 4 blues to weigh in with a small channel and a small flathead also. The biggest blue we had weighed 47# and all the blues came off sand flats on the inside bend of a long revetted bank. I will tell one place to try is below Paine Landing and you have probably saw the pillings on the Kansas side below the ramp,set up your boat about halfway between the last dike and where the rock bank starts below the dikes. You need to be about midway from the center of the river and the Kansas bank,scatter your rods in a fan behind the boat and shut all your electric stuff down also. Keep lights to a bare mininum and see if you can catch them feeding on the flat It takes time to figure this stuff out,we fished a flat that we had never been on but the fish wanted to be there .We had some fish roll off with the bait but came off when we set the hook. This time of the year it is comon for them to do that,we guessed that we should of had another 100 lbs of fish with what we lost on the hookset. It is a fun game that I have been playing for over 25 years in that area and have had some success doing it.Look me up sometime and I will be glad to share some more options you can try. I think I am gonna be at the next one the 19th up there also.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Who's putting on the tournament on the 19th? I might be interested in heading that way to fish where ever that way is. haha

7. roughneckcatman

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Thank you everyone for all the helpful advise. Fishinjunkie i will try your technic tomorrow night and i'll let ya know how it goes.Willie i live in st.Joseph and i would give anything to go out with someone like yourself who has had success in these tourneys. I just started last year for blues and i did get second in one tourney last year. That was the night i caught my 28LB blue which is my biggest so far. But Roger and his boys just tear the bigguns up. I would love to catch a 40# or bigger.My wife thinks i am obsessed with this big blue cat thing. But i swear if it is the last thing i do this summer i will find one and i think this site is really going to help me. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

8. roughneckcatman

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    One more question for you mighty mo fisherman. Where do you catch those golden eye google eye or whatever they are?? Thanks in advance