Flathead catfisherman which would you prefer

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Jun 22, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you were fishing a medium sized river, where the deepest holes are around 25 feet and very few of them...I ask this question if you only had one day or night to fish, would you fish a deep hole with no structure, or shallow water 2-6ft that has plenty of structure.,,,I had this experince a few years ago when I found one of the deeper holes on the river I fish..I fished this hole hard probably 20 trips and I caught two flatheads both around 25-lbs..I think structure is alot more important than depth with no struture, at least on my river..Iam not talking about the big rivers like the Ohio.

2. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    either one, but mostly shore fishing.

4. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
    Well flat heads usely feed on the bank at night, and are in deeper water at day. if i was u use two poles cast one deep, and one on the bank, if have three poles cast one in middle. What ever pole gets the most bits you will find the fish!!

5. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
    i dont know if this helps, sorry.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would prefer to fish the shallow water at night with heavy structure. Structure attracts baitfish and baitfish attracts flatheads.

7. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What little experience I have I have found that fishing shallow with structure is the best.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Depends on the season, of course. Fall cool down I'd deffinately be in the deep water. Rest of the time I'd hope there was some decent cover on the edges of the deep, but I guess you're saying no. That makes it tough. Personally, I'm not confident without some deeper water (like 10 feet) nearby. Not that I have to have the baits 10' deep, but if that depth isn't close, I don't feel confident.

SO have you tried the shallow cover? What's the verdict?

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Jack, after the GMR outing where we had up to 9 rods scattered across the deep structureless hole above the ramp there for as long as 7 hrs with only 3 hits ( and I think they were all the same fish) I am leaning towards the shallow structure now. Im still learning the catfish cycles so I cant back that up with any proof, but Ill let you know when I get something else to help back that up.:wink:

Salmonid

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    In my opinion structure structure structure. That would be day or night. That said all structure is not the same. If there is 4 feet of water next to 25 feet of water and a downed tree in the 4 feet, I would say the biggest flattie would be on the lee (downstream) side of the log. The deeper water is for security. Now if there is any kind of contour to that 25 foot hole like a ridge or a cutout, those are also high percentage spots to probe.

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I would prefer to find deeper water during the day, but the snaggy shallow area is awfully tempting. But at night for sure, I'd be up in the shallower areas for the big flatheads.

12. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    This is excellent advise

13. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    At night I like to fish the shallows with a lot of cover. This attracts bait fish and the river I fish you can pick up on the path they feed in...

It does also depend on the season though, early spring and late fall (in cooler weather) I would be fishing the deep holes. I have noticed these fish are not too fond of cold water!!!

14. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Open water is underrated.

15. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    structure for sure. structure tends to block or slow current wich flatheads tend to prefer over channel cats. also in the hot summer a logjam acts as shade. and like said attracts other smaller fish

16. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    structure for sure. structure tends to block or slow current wich flatheads tend to prefer over channel cats. also in the hot summer a logjam acts as shade. and like said attracts other smaller fish

17. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I agree shallow stucture at night

18. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have read that when the water gets fairly warm as it is now, that oxygen levels deplete in the deeper water, and for flathead 10' deep with structure would be ideal.
    all the flats ive caught this year have been around downed trees and large root systems.

19. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with shallow water and cover as long as the water is at least 4 feet deep and there is atleast 8 feet of water very very close by.

20. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I would fish the shallows at night, the deeper water during the day up into dusk