flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by DAREWOOD11, Oct 8, 2008.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    ok heres the situation...my boss built this lake over the last 2 years and we just got done with it...its about half full right now. its gona be 100 acres and a max depth of about 50 feet. i have put 2 20 pounders and a 10 and 2 5 pounders in there so far...im gona personally put 5000 sunfish in there and 50 gallons of fathead minnows. its on an old crick and the crick was full of minnows and bullheads and we drained 2 little ponds into it and the ponds had sunfish and bullheads in them so there should be a decent amount of baitfish in there already. im only gona stock it with channel cats and flatheads so im not concerned about any other kinds of fish. they are gona mostly use it as a lake for skiing and stuff so there wont be much fishing pressure. i need some help...if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it...im trying to stock a lake with flatheads and im wondering if anyone has any idea of anywhere u can purchase flatheads of any size for stocking purposes. thanks to all

2. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    You should check with Iowa DNR or a state fish hatchery. There is one at Fairport, Iowa on the Mississippi.

3. vic.jefferson

vic.jefferson New Member

State:
    iowa
    every once and a while farm king are farm and home run ads

4. the watcher

the watcher New Member

State:
    Iowa
    you could try pond king inc they supposedly sell adult cats but i dont know ive never used um

5. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    thats was some good reading hope that helps ya andy