Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Blakemo, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Are there catfish in the arkansas river? When fishing a river for flatties are floating rigs better than bottom fishing?

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Yes they are there

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    never fished down there myself, but I'm sure there are some good cats in there. Welcome to the boc, this site is full of good info and great people

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are a lot of cats in the Arkansas. Where are you thinking about fishing?
    I usually fish below the outlet, but have caught cat all the way down to tulsa from there, using a variety of bait, mainly shad, but have caught some on crawdads, I found.

5. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    lots of great fishing on the arkansas, blues are kind of slow right now but trot lines ,limb lines should be fine now for flat heads

6. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ill be fishing on the river where the bridge crosses in Bixby oklahoma. Ive already heard there are channels cats there but realy want to catch a flathead.

7. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    find you a place where you can catch perch, buy one of those small air raters that goes on a minnow bucket, you can keep a few perch alive in a good minnow bucket this way, run the hook just below and a little behind the dorsal fin, your bait should stay alive this way. over by leonard also may be good fishing too. good luck

8. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Oh I have a place where I can catch perch by the hundereds so ill give that a try!

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The river is running really strong right now and will continue until the lakes upstream return to normal levels. Flatheads for the most part don't like to fight stong currents. I'd focus on the creeks and oxbows off the main river or be looking for eddies, or underwater wing dams on the lower Arkansas in the main river. There's great catfishing in the Arkansas....good luck.

10. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Hiya Blake -- If it's flatheads your after there are three things that flatheads prefer. 1) live bait such as perch 2) if current is fast they prefer slower moving water 3) some sort of structure/cover. If you spot a place that is out of the main current with a fallen tree drop a live perch on the downstream side and be ready. If Mr. Flatty is nearby he will find your bait.