flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by fishinfreak19D, May 13, 2009.

1. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    im gonna be in pa visiting in july and wanna tie my old man into a flattie cause he never caught one, just wondering where would be a good place to do so that time of year.

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    where are you visiting?... there's flats in many of the big rivers of PA.

In many other waters its all rumors and debate.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Where in PA you visiting? I can help you out around the Pittsburgh area & know of a good place north of Pittsburgh.:big_smile:

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Jason,your living up north right?How about Lake Wilhelm,it,s been a few years,but I,ve personally caught some nice flats(over 20#) out of there.I just don,t usually get up that far with the gas prices the way they are.

5. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Wait a minute. Wilhelm has flats???? I had no idea. Where abouts were you catchin them. Man all this time I was wasting my time on "bait" up there when there are FISH in it.:confused2:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You live in Kansas where the world record comes from and never caught a flathead? If you want a chance at a flathead, either far west (Pittsburgh area) or far east (Phillystyle). Central PA only holds trout!:wink::cool2:

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

I got a map of Wilhelm arouhd here somewhere. I,ll dig it out & I,ll be able to tell you where I was fishing.There was a bait shop there,they gave me the directions,I had to follow a dirt road along the lake for a few miles,I,m pretty sure I was around the deep end of the lake.There were a lot of downed trees across from where I was fishing,I know I had to make some long casts to get near them.I,ll try and find that map today.

8. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i caught alot of flats, just dont know dirt about where to catch em in pa cause im only there for 4 weeks of the year, were from scranton/wilkes-barre area, i know they aint there,i just wanna hook my old man into one, wed drive as far out as pittsburgh for one tho.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Reps for sharing info and potentially helping another brother out!

There ya go Justin, GO GET EM!:cool2:

10. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks pat. I guess I will have to make sure Jason reads this thread. I think it would be alot closer for him to also be able to get into flats rather than comin the whole way down to Templeton.

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I hear you, wow flats at wilhelm:crazy:. that is suprising! Do you think thats way SO many people have been complaining recently about poor catching there? I've heard Alot of grumbling about this lake on fisherie.com, but nothing about flats.

Anyway to set the record strait, there has been flats taken at tionesta (30miles S) and oil city/franklin (60miles S)....and both are closer than wilhelm. NO the reason I go to templeton is to get all the sage advice I can get and fish with some good guys.

Most of my fishing trips vary from 2-10miles... and those that have met me know that the downside of my schedule is that fishing (OR travelling doesn't start much before 9pm)... thus fishing @ templeton means meeting a brother at midnight.

I love flats, I do! but channels are undervalued. Even a rather common 5# fish is still as strong and heavy as many of those 'dandy' walleyes and bass fish that people around go crazy to catch.

At 10#, your heavier than any PA bass and up there with the biggest walleyes. and some of YOU don't think 10# is all that (when it comes to a channel). that 15#er you hoist up is a true trophy in many ways, and is only lessoned by the INSANE size and power of PA's true top predators; muskies and flatheads.

I suppose in one way, I'm only a half baked trophy fishermen. I mean I fish for the little fish, still think of 20" as big, and take delight in those easy stockies (If I can beat all the other obsessed anglers to them).

but I do admit catching a bigger flat leaves a mark on a man! its worth some lonely hours FOR sure. But... I think that even if I found a spot next door for them or found myself moved to the skuke or three rivers... that flatheads would be an occasional obsession. and I would still lack the extensive bait tanks and big boats some of you guys have.

no doubt, its a progression. So perhaps I'm just 'young' nothing wrong with that.:smile2: