Flathead Catfish.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jdstraka, Feb 16, 2009.

1. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I have a question for All You Big Flathead cat fisher Gurus.

I Like many of you chase the Elusive Flathead and I most usually fish the Missouri River in Iowa while doing so.Now I know that when there not feeding that they most always are in a deep hole in structure or behind some type of current break be it logs or or rocks to get out of the current which runs anywhere between 5/7 MPH most times in this river depending on how much rain we have had or how much water they are turning loose at Gavans point Dam up in South Dakota.So here is the Question. When they (Flatheads)Decide to put on the Feed Bag do they head up stream,or Down stream to start feeding.I Believe Myself that they head downstream and hit the shallow water and sand bars especially at night,although I also know that they will feed in the day time because i have boated some nice flats during day time.I also have a friend that fishes for big flats and has good success and only fishes the front of wing dams at night,and the deep holes are behind the tips of the wing dams.so whats your take on this question,Upstream or downstream or does it make any differance ??? Thank's in advance for Your Replies,J.D.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John

3. pitbull33

pitbull33 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Well brother I am a huge flat fan and what I feel is the best reply would be that they really dont act like youd think. Just before dark they head up stream and continue up till about three. This is the ideal time because they feed very little on the way up. As they turn around and head back down stream they pick up the bag and begin to feed. I never catch flats that amount to anything in the day light.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Through my experience, they put on the FEED BAG before a storm, after a good, rain, and sometimes at dusk. The trick to catching the bigger flatheads is being there at the right time during the right time.

Does the sandbar you are talking about have anykind of deep water or structure near it? Stick with the simple equation of sandbars+deep water+structure=Mr. Flathead.

Wing dams are good flathead haunts, just try to fish the eddies and slack water.