flathead catfish with bullhead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by dust off the poles, Jul 4, 2009.

1. dust off the poles

dust off the poles New Member

State:
    kansas
    For those of you lucky enuff to use bullheads, how do you prefer the presentation? Cut, chunked, hooked thru the lips? You must be using a HUGE hook.:crazy:

2. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    thru the upper lip:tounge_out: that's the way we always did it when we were running lines in Nebraska

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I try not to use both lips on any live bait. This can ultimately drown the fish because their mouth cant open. Id say through the upper lip on the bulls. I am pretty sure they will almost always take a bullhead head first so they do not injure themselves on their spines.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I hook mine through the back behind the dorsal fin most of the time because I float them. If I fish them on the bottom I hook them through the lip.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i never had luck on them, but if you use them, heres what id do, get a big ten 0t gamma octo j hook him in the back, but they dont like them in my holes theyd rather take sunfish

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Behind the dorsal and use them live.10/0 hook will do just fine.:wink:

7. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Bullheads are a great bait and since we cannot use gills or sunfish up here, bullheads are the go to bait. I’ve tried several different sizes and styles of hooks and hooking positions and have caught fish using all methods.

After experimenting with all those, my first choice is a 10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hooked between the adipose and the dorsal fin. When I hook them I go in diagonally and just barely grab enough skin to keep it on the hook. You would be surprised how little that might take. I want the hook to rip out and stick good into the fish on the hook set.

What I like best about bullheads is that they are very hardy. I can stuff as many as 100 in my 40 gallon tank and keep them for several weeks.

They also work hard for you down in the water.

8. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have been using them for a couple of years now and they are the magic bait sometimes...:smile2:

I use the team catfish 8/0 and hook them about a half inch behind the dorsal fin spike. I usually place the hook in between the lateral line and the top of the fish.

Oh, and use a good bobber and long straw, those dudes can truck around and move around very, very, well.

Ben

9. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    how do you guys catch your bullheads? I have tried and I can't catch them to save my life.

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use my perch traps and bait them with liver in cheese cloth sacks or catch them on r&r using liver

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hooked behind the dorsal with a 7/0 Khale or a 8/0 gama circle.

I catch my bullies with a jig and a worm on the bottom.

12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I haven't had any luck on them yet, but I still try to use them when I can. Most of the Flats caught on Bullheads out my way are biggins though. When I am fishing in some current I hook them in the upper lip area, and if I am fishing a slack water area I hook them in the back between the fins. Leave plenty of hook exposed. I like to use a 8/0 circle.

13. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I love using them for flatties. I hook them behind the dorsal fin. I tried hooking them through the bottom lip one time and that was a bad idea, so dont do that.

To catch them I just put a worm on the bottom of an oxbow, farm pond, or lake. They seem to find them from there. In fact, they are a nuisance when trotlining. If your cut bait sits on the bottom, then bullheads will get it before channels or blues.

14. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i couldnt have said it better myself this is the same way i do but i only fish bottom at the river. and i also take wire cutters and cut off the spines it puts a little extra to attract em. they dont bleed enough to die but enough to draw them in. thats wat i caught my 34 on was a 7 in yellowbelly hooked behind the dorsal on a boober with its spines snipped off.

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i use 9/0 or 8/0 gamma circles with them.under a float,behind the dorsal.on bottom,i hook them from underneath,bottom side from where i hook them from up top.i also hook them shallow,meaning not hooking them very deep at all.they are very muscular and it takes a lot of pressure to rip the hook out of the bait to get a good hook set if it is hooked too deep.

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I hook mine in the tail and put a couple of knife marks in the back of them to let the blood run out.

17. wisco_fisher

wisco_fisher New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Just a quick question, while using bullheads is a 15" realistic to use?

18. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    Well, in the infisherman 2009 catfish guide they have a maximum edible prey length chart. It says a 31.5 inch flat can eat a 17.9 inch largemouth and a 47.2 inch can eat a 30 inch largemouth. So i'd say it pretty realistic size bait.

19. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Wow. So pretty much a 12 pound flatty can eat a 3 or 4 pound bass. And a 35 pounder can eat a 10 pound bass.
    Thats pretty intense, couldn't imagine using a 10 pound largemouth for bait, haha.

20. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, takes a long time to catch bait that way....

Sure, big flatheads can eat whatever they like, but start using jumbo baits (like 1-2# or more) and you will eliminate smaller or less active fish. Not saying people shouldn't use a big bait, I've tossed out some pretty good sized baits on occasion, but you won't see as much action.

If I was fishing a giant bait on one pole, I'd use some smaller ones on the other...

Shawn