Flathead Catfish- Why Were They There?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by master_cat, Jun 29, 2006.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    last sat night we went fishing at the steam plant its a small narrow channel verry rocky lots of current lots of food for fish there we was fishin with cut blugill and had a small fish pole well bout an hour in to the trip my pole doubles over and its pullin hard i fight it for 30 or so min 30pound flat head i was like hmm well i trew back out then my buddy was like dannng his pole bent over 12 pound flat then a 2 pounder my question y where the flatheads up in there and if they where there then will it be a place to catch them agin and all fish where released

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    from my experience, flatheads like rocky areas with a abundance of food. the rocks break the current flow and they ambush smaller fish etc. they also like stumps and snags. sounds like you had a great trip with alot of luck! i would definately try there again.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds like you found a nice hole The fish should be there as long as there is a good food source But I reall y don't target flatheads so maybe someone with more experience will answer your question as to if that is a spot to catch fish.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    They were there because that is a place for an easy meal. You said it was at night and there were lots of bait fish in a rocky area. Two great things in one place, Cover and food, prime flathead hunting area.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Flatheads will get in that heavy current and use their power to swim faster through it and catch bait fish, or they will sit on the edges of the current and wait for fish to drive past in the current and ambush them that way.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    This time of year here in Ohio the crayfish molt and spend a few days with a soft shell. This makes them fair game for any fish swimming in the river. We all Know crayfish live in the rocks, all the fish in the river know that also. The big flathead was there looking for a fish meal and maybe a crayfish meal, the smaller one was looking to eat crayfish and maybe a small fish meal. I'd bet a hundered bucks that if you fished long enough the flats will leave and you can slay the channels when they move in behind them doing the same thing. Sounds like you hit the HONEY hole for the next couple weeks. If you want a big flattie, take some big live baits down there and cast them out. Big as you can cast, let us know what you catch.

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    From my experience fishing their, its mostly blues and flatheads, atleast that is what I catch. Like what has been said, rocky structure with lots of bait fish, also night time is when flatheads come in to the shallows. Just a few weeks ago a 50 plus pounder was caught their. I plan on going over the weekend to the steam plant. Good luck fishing.

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    You guys really put a spanking on those flatties! As long as those bait fish hang around, the predators will be there too. I'm kind of surprised you didn't catch a channel in that bunch. Hit em again!
    Don

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    With results like that......NEVER ask why! :lol:

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I will have to agree with this guy. LMAO

It has been said a few times, easy food, cover, alot of what they like. Always nice to fish areas like that.

11. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    the steam plant is an area for year round cat fishing. the water is warm and shad are there year round. like others have said its a prime area for bait fish because of the current that is generated. there are big flats and blues that area caught in the area (20 - 70 pounders). if you have a boat a good place is just below the outlet of the steam plant where the warm waters mix with the cold of the main waters the dead shad are washed out and the channel, blues and flats are in this area making their way up. there are also other pray fish in these area.

12. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    the question you be asking is how to keep others from fishing your honey hole

13. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    i wouldn't mind anyone fishing them I have a honey hole at cross creeks and i get ticked when some one is in it. at the same time i'm tickled to death when they can't seem to get a bite out of the area and they move to a new spot and i move in and start pulling them out. Bluegills and Crappie I also have a hot spot on the cumberland for largemouth bass. but the sad thing is its no longer my honey:cry: :too_sad: spot for this year anyways

14. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    it stays the same there year round except in the winter stripers and skipjack in in there thick i wonder if there would be blues to