flathead catfish - Where Can You Purchase Them?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by DAREWOOD11, Oct 7, 2008.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    ok heres the situation...my boss built this lake over the last 2 years and we just got done with it...its about half full right now. its gona be 100 acres and a max depth of about 50 feet. i have put 2 20 pounders and a 10 and 2 5 pounders in there so far...im gona personally put 5000 sunfish in there and 50 gallons of fathead minnows. its on an old crick and the crick was full of minnows and bullheads and we drained 2 little ponds into it and the ponds had sunfish and bullheads in them so there should be a decent amount of baitfish in there already. im only gona stock it with channel cats and flatheads so im not concerned about any other kinds of fish. they are gona mostly use it as a lake for skiing and stuff so there wont be much fishing pressure. i need some help...if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it...im trying to stock a lake with flatheads and im wondering if anyone has any idea of anywhere u can purchase flatheads of any size for stocking purposes. thanks to all

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Boy Andy that sounds like a great small lake. I would contact the DNR in your state and they should help you. Around here Orscheln farm and home has fish days. Usually in the spring. And the conservation department has one in the summer. This is where you can put in orders for different species of fish. Hope this helps. Good luck on you stocking the small lake and keep us up dated on how it goes.

Tom

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Also check your local law about restocking fish from another location in to the lake.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great pond and what a conversation effort, congrats.

5. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    thanks all

6. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    NOBODY HAS ANYMORE HELP??

7. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I wish I could help you out Andy and I also wish I was in your situation:smile2: The only thing I can think of would be ask around at other area's of the site and also search your butt off for a place that sells flats to re-stock with.

8. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    The only suggestion I have you is this...Flats are eating machines, before you get them in there you need to have a good supply of bait fish in thee already established. You need to get your bluegill/minnows in there at least a season before adding your bigger fish.

9. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Andy, we did something very simular years back,back in Nebraska. You must have a population of gills and we used shiners to stock the lake, it also had a stream running into it so it had all the bullheads you wanted. Flatties are a eating machine so are bass but you must be careful with what you put into it, like crappie, they will take over a lake in a matter of a couple of years without one hell of a bunch of fish that are already large enough to keep the population down and a large bunch of gills is the answer. We went to all the farm ponds with a tank and caught hundreds of adult fish and it really worked as long as they what they needed to survive like cover and food. Long story short we had a very strong lake with flatties spawing and a great fishery.:wink:

10. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    so bob the flatheads reproduced and grew well in ur lake??

11. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    also bob...how many adult flatheads did u guys stock in ur lake?? how long did it take the lake to become a good fishing lake? thank you

12. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I'd probably say that in 4 years we were seeing our results in numbers of all the fish we put in the lake. There were lots of clouds of flatties babies, of course with all the gills they got thinned out like they were suppose to. The adults we put in got very large inthe time they were in there and we were catching the 10# babies after 4 years or so, we also put channels in there and it seemed the flats grew just as fast although we put more channels in cuz they could be bought and the flats were caught out of the rivers.

13. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    how many adult flatheads would u guess that you stocked in there?? i have only stocked 5 so far and 3 channel cats and one blue cat...

14. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Try comercial fisherman on the Miss. river .The guys from the VFW purcased them for a catfish feed as a fundraiser , they were alive ,that was befoe the fish desease thing .Don't know if its legal in your state. jay jay

15. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Let us know how things go every few months or so.

16. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    You haven't even got started yet:embarassed: We ran lines on the river for 3 yrs., we tried to count them once and gave UP! We do know that there were 6 over 30#'s and probably 50 fish atleast close to spawing age.
    A couple of years ago you could go down there when his dad was feeding them and catch channels that were as long as a feed sack on a bobber with a grass frog. Long story short it truned out to be one HELL of a lake but it takes time. Its really worth it, spent many hours there :wink:

17. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    hey bob...i know its a long process and i have a lot of work to do but im glad to hear it will be worth it...its half full now and i spent this week finishing puttin my structure in...i put in 10 more piles of 18 inch concrete culverts and 20 loads of riprap off some of the points. i should have enough structure with that and the rip rap dam and the old creek channel. im going to spend the rest of the time i have b4 ice on stocking it with sunfish....thanks for all the help and tips bob

18. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    one more question...i put 6 flatheads in there and the 2 biggest ones died....:sad2:...i dont know y...they both took off good when i put them in and i kept them in well aerated and clean and cool water on the trip there and i cant figure out y they died...theres plenty of food in there rite now for the amount of fish i have stocked...any ideas??

19. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I really don't know either, it seems that the flatties are the biggest girls when it comes to keeping them alive when you want to do something besides eating them and then you can't kill em:smile2: We had the same thing go on but you just keep putting them in, also, you must have nest boxes or whatever, but they need only ONE hole so the fry can be protected until they hatch or the gills will have their way with the eggs and the mother can't protect them.
    The other thing is a estabilished food supply-- adult gills so they will spawn in the spring, you can't get enough of them, and feed them too! Trust me it will all be worth it someday GOOD LUCK It's not easy:eek:oooh:

20. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    thanks bob!