Flathead Catfish - Where Are They Hiding In The Osage River?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by NoCat2Big, Aug 20, 2005.

1. NoCat2Big

NoCat2Big New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo
    I've been fishing the Osage (truman dam and points downriver) all year and haven't caught a single Flathead. I admit I normally target Blues but am used to hooking into a few Flats. I haven't even heard of one being caught since spring.

Any ideas?

2. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    When they are under the rocks or in the deep holes, you have to put your bait right on them. When it starts to cool off, I suspect they will be more active, especially at night. They won't be so hard to catch then.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    NoCat2Big and I did a little driftfishin last nite down the Osage. I had to show him how to land a flat head LOL. It weighed 11 lbs. Other than that we didn't boat any fish. Was a good time fishing with you Chris. Give me a holler and we will go give Truman a try.

4. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Where were you guys fishing the osage at? Below the damn?

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We started below the dam and drifted down to the 65 bridge last nite.
    I usally fish on down around turkey creek and do well there also.

6. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Have you ever fished in the Mariosa access area? I would love any ideas on a good spot to fish between there and osage city. Any help would be appreciated.

7. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    In the twenty years of fishing the Osage pretty hard I've only caught one flathead not on a trotline and that was in the shadnet.(released 5lber) That being said I know people who target them and catch them. Virgil Tagemeyer from Sedalia has caught a large number of them in the river behind Warsaw on deep diving crankbaits. I target Blues because I can catch them in broad daylight even with boat traffic. They are predictable and much easier(for me) to catch. I catch a large number of Blues every year and release everything over 25lbs back into the river.
    The flathead I caught in the net was in a small cove off the main river in less than 4ft of water. Virgil targets fish in the 18 to 25 ft range. There are couple of guys down here that do well with live Perch on limblines but I only rod n reel fish. Its great that the guys who fish for catfish here on the Osage are finally starting to post on the BOC.

8. NoCat2Big

NoCat2Big New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo
    A guy I know with trot lines just past the 65 bridge has started catching some flatheads. Saw him with a 40#'er a day or so ago. other than trot lines I've not seen any caught.

9. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Got any mississippi river fishers in here. Wanna go out with us on the boat and do some monster hunting? Shoot me a PM and we can hook up

10. dgmo.boy

dgmo.boy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey i caught 5 flathead catfish on the Osage rive in deep water along bluffs anf rocks. Four came on one night with only 16 hooks The big one weighed 19.5 pounds,
    Doug

11. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I did some flathead fishing a couple of weeks ago down there but struck out also. I fished just downstream of White Branch, not sure of what the cove is called but its the first big cove on the left downstream of White Branch. There's a small island there with a bunch of stumps that I figured would hold some flatheads. I anchored in the channel and casted live bluegills up to the island 10 feet of water and shallower at night. No luck though. I'm agree with Ron, the blues are a lot more "user friendly and predictable" but my favorites are flatheads. Gonna give it a try again on the weekend of the 9th and I'll post any results. Gonna fish mainly on Pomme but also on LOZ also. Good luck everyone! Chris

12. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I heard they were catchin' 'em on the Sac @ Osceola

13. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
    I’ve just read some posts where flats are being caught in Kansas and Iowa....so now may be the time. Is it water temp that starts the movement of flats?

14. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have had great luck with channels this year, but the flattie action has been real slow in coming on, at least for me over in the Gasconade. Although, my neighbor a few cabins down, who fishes once or twice a year, pulled out a 70# flathead the Saturday before Memorial Day. I am still coming to grips with that.....may need therapy....or a big catfish to pull through.

15. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I think a nice big, fat, jucie, flat would most likly fix you right up bro.

16. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The flats I catch on the Osage on Truman are accidents. Usually catch them either crappie fishing or bass fishing. The key is they like the bait to be alive. Dead stuff on a hook aint their cup of tea. I have a real hard time having live bait on my catfish hooks. That shad was alive a couple minutes ago, but he's dead now. And if he aint swimming, he's blue food or channel fodder. I've caught more flatheads on jigs than I have on baited hooks. Location? Always upper ends of the rivers. I would be fishing (or trotlining) closer to Osceola than Warsaw if I was targeting flats, and I would be lip-hooking live shad or goldfish. If you want your shad alive, you have to invest in a holding tank, an aereator/circulating system, and a jug of "Shad Keeper" chemical treatment. You put that live shad or goldfish near a flathead, and you will get bit. Just remember they like cover, too. Tree roots, stumps, rocks, etc. Any place it would be hard to pull them out of, try it.