Flathead Catfish What Draws Ya?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishrollo, Aug 5, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What makes you addicted to flatheads? rollo

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mine is, a slow run on the boat on a big livebait at night. You lift the rod, and feel the pressure as it runs clicker! Then you lock the reel in!!!!!!!!! :wink: rollo

3. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    because they get so big and i like a big fight :big_smile:

4. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    In my opinion, they are individually unique, top of the food chain, hardest to be successful catching on rod n reel, and powerful. It's entertaining to pursue a fish that might win the battle.
    And yes that moment, when......"It's ON like Donkey Kong!" Not exactly what Quint said, but appropriate for the younger crowd.:smile2:

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They are great table fare. They get huge like blues. Hook a big one 90% of the time and its a stubbern head rippen fight. They about one of the hardest fish to catch somtimes.:smile2:

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its just plain fun

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    big fish=big fun :wink:

8. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish for flatheads for the same reasons I fish for muskies. They get big and they fight like nothing else! Everything for me comes down to that one single second when you set the hook and NOTHING moves. Time stands still for a second and then the fish tries to rip your arm out of it's socket. I like the whole livebait in the dark thing too, less boat traffic, more "back to natureish" :wink: I don't care to catch fish that once I hook them, I KNOW they're coming in. It's the epic Man VS Fish thing I guess, but I love it....

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

They,re down and dirty,good hard fighters.Hooked since I went after my first one.They,re big brawling bruisers,also like the fact that they,re the working mans fish,all you really need is a spot on the riverbank and a bucket full of bait.If they were easier to catch,it would take some of the thrill out of it.:wink:

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Its like playing tug-of-war with a rotweiler using an ole sock. You can actually feel the flathead shake its head from one side to the other and will do all he can to stay on the bottom. :wink:

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    34+yrs ago, I hung into what I beleive was one of the biggest flatheads I would ever set the hook into ever!. It just kept going!, leaving me with nothing to do but watch my line move as slow as a snail across the waters surface, and my rod bent down until I thought it was about to snap!! and then he stops and starts rolling on the bottom until I saw a mud slick as big as 2-3 cars on the surface, after a hr or more with your rod looking like a horseshoe and your line pops and lets off a sound of a 22 long rifle stinger, or the hook pulls free and the float/sinker/hook flies past your head only to hear the swoosh of air. Then your left there standing in AWE, shaking a nervous wreck. Like you just missed a buck of a lifetime shot.:sad2::angry:

Had that happen to me 3 times in my life since then and I know each one of them went over 100lb. No doubt in my mind..Monster Flatheads.

That is why I fish for them. Because I know he lives.. The new world record that is:wink:

12. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    Well my first weekend of fishing for them I caught my PB
    There is nothing like the clicker going off on the Abu, real steady like
    and setting the hook
    you never know what you are going to get, could be eater size
    but then again it could be a 60 or 70 lber
    I have gone on alot of trips and catch 5 to 10 a night
    but havent got anything over 20#s the last 10 or so trips
    so knowing that i have a chance of catching bruiser is what keeps me going

13. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i like how they destroy that big blue gill and make my arms shake at the end of a good long fight....

14. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    For me I like the fact that each nice sized flathead that I catch is hard earned. They're not like other catfish, they fight harder and take more skill to hook into. You can throw about anything smelly at a channel and you will catch a few. In my opinion, trophy blues take a little more skill, but are still easier to catch then flatheads. To me flatheads are a true trophy fish.

15. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    when you think of big predator fish, most people think the ocean. sharks,rays marlins,ect etc. flatheads are deff at the top of the food chain when it comes to fresh water. ever since i became certified in scuba diving, i went friends that work with the local law enforcement for a diving drill at a local Dam. what woulda scared any normal person 40ft down amazed me, knowing theres fish the size of small cars down there. ever since that day ive been on a mission to catch one. everybodys heard the term ''Theres always someone faster" well theres always a bigger fish then the one you just caught.:wink:

16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    me it's the challenge of catchin em it's more like hunting than fishin. I could get some liver or stinkbait and catch channels all day long just about anywhere there's water but to get a good flattie you have to search and find that log jam during the daytime or the rock piles and root wad during the spawn. It's the challenge that at a given time during the year depending on if they're in the spawn post spawn etc is where you go to target them and really what you base your selection of bait off of. You can't just throw 9 inch gill all year and expect to catch a fish you have to adapt to where's the best likely hood she'll be sitting or where their best ambush spot would be for food. Like I said for me it's more like hunting than fishing

17. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    like someone else said on here it is alot like hunting,it's like deer hunting to me will there be one here by this root ball,is this a place that one would swim to get to his abush sight i guess it's the challenge and you never know when that clicker goes to singing whats going to be on the other end and they are BIG

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One reason, SIZE.....If channels got as big as flatheads I would target them.

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's not the fish I'm addicted to... It's the adrenaline charge from the hunt and battle that only a flattie can cause.

20. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    My reason was stated earlier, it's the only fish you hunt for instead of fish for. To be consistently sucessful on big flathead it takes the same patience, knowledge, and ability to function under pressure that it takes to keep your cool and harvest a trophy whitetail. The best part is that you can take pictures, throw the big one back, and go catch another. When I shoot a big buck I am a spectator for the rest of the season and have a big taxidermy bill.